Ignition fuse keeps blowing

c.moser

Apr 29, 2008
My car is a 98 gt. Lately it keeps blowing an ignition fuse and I'm not sure why. I've changed it 3 times so far and each time I change it, it runs fine for about 30-50 miles and then it blows. I've done a quick check of all wires and nothing seems to be loose or not connected correctly. Any ideas what could be causing this?

The car does have an aftermarket alarm installed by the previous owner, could that have anything to do with it? I know alarms can disable the car from starting, but would they have anything to do with ignition fuses blowing? The reason I ask that is because there is a small red alarm light on the dash that is lit up now. It was never lit before, but after the fuse blew the first time, it stays on constantly.

Thanks in advance for any advice

• Sponsors (?)

For the 98 MY, the I/P fuse #18 has the following circuits:

Instrument cluster
Anti-theft
Ignition
CCRM

All are on the R/LG wire.

My guess would be the aftermarket PATS as well. However, that does present a difficult situation to narrow it down. Normally one would disconnnect the systems one at a time until the fuse stopped blowing. However, if the PATS system is powered off, likely the car won't start.

This is going to be difficult to trace. Suggest going back for a closer physical inspection to see if you can spot a loose wire. Otherwise there will be a lot of detailed electrical trouble shooting going on.

Finally got this fixed. Figured I would post this for anyone who finds this trying to search for this problem. One of the cables to the engine harness wore through and was causing the short