ignition question

dastang2

Dec 11, 2003
tx
hello all, i just got an 89 notch that used to be a 4 banger. the 2nd owner(i am the 4th now i think), set everything up on the bad boy for drag and i was told they ran a chevy motor in it :shrug: :notnice: . they said it used to run 9's. i don't know though. anyway what kind of ignition did the 4's have on them. i am guessing tfi but i know nothing of these motors. the reason i wanna know is because i am doing an HEI conversion and i need to know if the tfi equipped cars had ballast resisters on the ignition. i don't think they did though.

• Sponsors (?)

First of all, sup fellow Texan :)

Second thing is are you going to be running a chevy in it also ? On the 4cyl ignition part I think its a pain jane distribitor with the TFI but I couldn't tell you anything about the ballist part. Also when you use the HEI run a good enough gauge wire for it, back when I converted points over to HEI I once used a smaller gauge wire and it melted it.

the ignition is compiled of a distributor TFI module with a EEC-IV computer and a coil... thats pretty much it.

i have an MSD 6A and a MSD Blaster coil... they are 100% compatible... so if you're looking for a "performance upgrade" (i say that in quotes because some people dont believe that it does much, however I noticed more top end pull and better gas mileage...) those are two items to point you in the right direction.