Ignition Switch Change Out

Scrasauge

Sep 24, 2003
Reserve, La
Can I Swap out my ignition switch out in my car with the tumbler stuck in it? I tried changing the tumbler out again after the kit I bought the door lock broke and bought another kit but the ignition tumbler is stuck so I was thinking of just changing out the whole switch. is this possible?

• Sponsors (?)

No ,the key is needed in a 65 -66 ,yes on a 67 up .There is a small hole in the face of the tumbler drum ,you insert a wire or bent paperclip works best ,turn the key all the way to the ACC side and push the paper clip in and it will release the tumbler and it will turn a bit more and pull out .
The bezel can some times be a big pain in the butt also ,the switch assembly has a large heavy spring and it must be pushed in and the bezel twists out ,although if it is the original i have seen several that someone at ford had put together wrong ...especially from the San Jose plant ,and they will be a night mare to remove .

the problem im having is once I push the pin in the hole and turn it, it is getting stuck and only coming out of the ignition switch partially, I was asking if , being that it is stuck in there can I change out the whole thing without pulling the tumbler