Electrical Ignition switch key tumbler

Whilst upgrading the dash on my 89 LX 5.0 I decided I would also replace the ignition switch and key tumbler (both original)
because the key would not return fully from start to the run position without a little physical help. It was just a small idiosyncrasy
I put up with. After installing both switch and tumbler, making sure everything lined up properly, the key is still not returning to the
run position after starting the car. It's not a big problem but an annoying one. Things like the turn signals will not work until I give the
key a little nudge back to the run position. Any ideas, like spraying WD-40 somewhere, or replacing a worn part?

• Sponsors (?)

Been looking for a pic for you but haven't found one. If I'm not mistaken, the tumbler has no spring mechanism. It's the other part you mentioned, the switch assembly, that has the spring in it. It pushes the key back. I don't see how it could be anything other than that. I've taken them apart before and they do get dry inside. I know you've replaced both but it would be the first time a new part was junk...lol. Maybe someone has a pic to show you or can help you better.

Reactions: 1 user
Been looking for a pic for you but haven't found one. If I'm not mistaken, the tumbler has no spring mechanism. It's the other part you mentioned, the switch assembly, that has the spring in it. It pushes the key back. I don't see how it could be anything other than that. I've taken them apart before and they do get dry inside. I know you've replaced both but it would be the first time a new part was junk...lol. Maybe someone has a pic to show you or can help you better.

I know the spring you're talking about. It's easy enough to pull it apart to see what's going on I was just trying to avoid going into it blind.
I also thought someone else may have had the same problem and is able to give me fix instead of going through the process of elimination.
Both tumblers act exactly the same which would lead me to assume the problem lies somewhere else. You could be correct about the
new switch being bad. When the temperature rises a bit here in Ohio I'll delve into it a little further, in the mean time if someone else has
a quick permanent fix I'm open. Thanks Wayne, you're probably correct.

Reactions: 1 user
FYI,
Back in 1995 Ford had a recall on all their ignitions switches, Ford, Lincoln, Mercury.
They were replaced for free. I remember getting mine replaced at the L-M dealer.

TSB 95S28 Safety Recall 95S28 - Ignition Switch Replacement

Safety recalls never expire.

Reactions: 1 users