Electrical Ignition Switch?

Ok guys I got about 30 projects going on my car but one that bugs me is the fact that my key wont start the car. The relay is good because I can start the car by jumping it with a screwdriver. I tested the small wire going to the relay which is supposed to be the power wire when you hit the key. It has no power when you hit the key. Therefore I believe the problem is the ignition switch. Is that correct on my part or am I missing something?

• Sponsors (?)

Ok guys I got about 30 projects going on my car but one that bugs me is the fact that my key wont start the car. The relay is good because I can start the car by jumping it with a screwdriver. I tested the small wire going to the relay which is supposed to be the power wire when you hit the key. It has no power when you hit the key. Therefore I believe the problem is the ignition switch. Is that correct on my part or am I missing something?

It could be the ignition switch. You can check and see if you have voltage coming out of the W/PK wire.
Other causes for no voltage to the relay would be the Park/Neutral switch in an auto or the Clutch Switch in a manual transmission. If either of these respective switches are open you will not get voltage to the relay.

Are you talking about the small wire from the ignition tumbler?

The wire from the tumbler goes to the warning chime.

I was talking about the small wire that connects to the relay via a push on type connector. I have power at the white/pink wire on the ignition switch with the key on. I went to test the clutch safety switch and there are two connectors that plug into with about 6 wires each. I should be seeing 12V on both sides of the switch with the key on but I dont know which wires to test for that 12V of power. Also its very cramped under there and I think I own the only GT ever made without tilt.

When my neutral safety switch didn't work, when I turned the key in park/neutral the car didn't click or even attempt to turn over. That should really allow you to rule it out. If it isn't popping the starter at all then it's probably the switch, but if you hear your starter popping and its trying to turn over then it's something else.

This may help...

Typical start circuit...
Diagram courtesy of Tmoss & Stang&2birds
attachment.php

You will need a voltmeter or test lamp for the rest of the checks. Connect one lead of the voltmeter or test lamp to ground. The other lead will connect to the item under test.
Look for 12 volts on the white/pink wire when the ignition switch is turned to the Start position. Check the ignition switch first.
No 12 volts, replace the ignition switch.

The next step will require you to push the clutch pedal to the floor (5 speed) or put the transmission in neutral (auto trans) while the ignition switch is turned to the Start position.
Good 12 volts, check the clutch safety switch (5 speed) or Neutral Sense Switch (auto trans) for good 12 volts on both sides of the switches. No 12 volts on both sides of the switch and the switches are defective or out of adjustment. Check the wiring for bad connections while you are at it.