Ignition timing question

a_k

Nov 12, 2004
Saratoga NY
Hey I had a quick question. I bought an msd 6al ignition box, distributor, and coil. With my new cam it says my timing needs to be set a 6 degrees BTDC. I was wondering how that works do i just set it to 6 degrees BTDC on the timing marker and call it a day or is the timing adjusted in the computer. I was just wondering if the computer will try to adjust it or how I need to set this up. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

The computer has no idea where your timing is set at - that's why us bumping it has an affect.

Interesting that the cam dictates ignition timing. I have some thoughts but will keep 'em to myself since I dont know the story.

Good luck.

Scott, you are very much getting into what I was thinking (but didnt want to say for fear of being rude). The cam card might have the specs for advancement/retarding for PV clearance issues, not ignition timing.

Not at all A_K. It's an easy thing to miss, and the only way anyone could think you an idiot is if you hadnt asked and something happened.

Sorry if I came across that way, but I wasn't saying you were an idiot or anything. I just remember working on a few different BBF's with my dad and that the card was a little confusing on what it was telling you. Again, sorry if I came off as being a jerk. I've learned a lot here in the short time I've been on, :SNSign: is a great place! Good luck with your new cam!!

Scott