Ignition Tumbler jammed, need help

Well I got the car running after putting in alot of new parts and it ran great, but then (just my luck) the ignition tumbler got jammed. I really do not know how to explain it but it appears that some of the pins in the tumbler have become free and now I can not get the key in the ignition. Well I was able to push them up long enough to get the key back in the ignition to start it and get it back in the garage where I left the key in. Now my question is how do you get the tumbler out? I see that there is a pin that is on the bottom side of the tumbler housing but I can not seem to get it to press in. Do I need to turn the key to the on postion or to the start position or ??? I am really lost for idea's, anyone have any idea. I really appreciate any and all help.
Thanks for taking the time to respond to those who do! :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

yep, turn it to the run position, as i recall. then push the pin and get it out. i would just go get a new one. arent they like 10 bucks?
good luck.

no problem!
sometimes the "pin" needs some persuading. i think this will be your case since you are having tumblers jamb up. a small punch and light hammer smack might help if it doesnt push in.
also, you may need to jiggle the switch around a little (it may need to be a smidge to one side or the other for the pin to release).
good luck. let us know how it goes.

Yeah, I needed a hammer and punch to persuade mine to come out. Just go buy a new ignition switch/tumbler. They're like $10-$15 and come with two keys usually. I actually had mine break in the parking lot at Car Quest when I was returning some parts :rolleyes: At least the guys were cool enough to loan me a hammer and punch and they happened to have the switch in stock.

After you push the pin in, i think if memory serves, you have to turn the whole thing forward like you are starting it to get it out. I think the shop manual says to disconnect the battery...i think to prevent the one in million chance you set off the airbag.