Ignition wire question?

MY 85 GT

10 Year Member
Mar 7, 2008
New Jersey
I have a weird miss almost like a bad wire...It was running fine until i changed the plugs and put chrome valve covers on now under a load it breaks up but not all of the time...I was told that there are 2 igniton wires you want to never cross let touch, which ones are they...I think i might have a couple laying on each other will that cause a problem?

• Sponsors (?)

Havent heard about the ignition wires myself, but I'd start by looking under the hood at night (with the underhood light removed) rev it and check for any sparks.

Good advice - It is very easy to crack the ceramic plug insulators, and then the spark arcs over to the metal plug shell.

Spark plug wires cam be tested using an Ohmmeter or Digital Volt Meter (DVM). Set the meter to high range Ohms and measure the resistance of the wire. Be careful not to touch the metal probe tips when you make the measurements, or you will get wrong measurements. You should see about 1000 ohms per inch of wire. If you see a lot more, the wire is bad.

Good advice - It is very easy to crack the ceramic plug insulators, and then the spark arcs over to the metal plug shell.

Spark plug wires cam be tested using an Ohmmeter or Digital Volt Meter (DVM). Set the meter to high range Ohms and measure the resistance of the wire. Be careful not to touch the metal probe tips when you make the measurements, or you will get wrong measurements. You should see about 1000 ohms per inch of wire. If you see a lot more, the wire is bad.

I just changed the plugs back to the set i had in there and the car is doing the same thing....I have a set of accel wires on there now...i think there about 2-3 months old....I wonder if its a bad wire or something to do with the carb? like dirt in the jets im confussed because it doesnt do it all of the time...sometimes when you take off it stumbles and sometimes it drives fine....Thats why i dont know were to look....now.......It is an edelbrock 650 thunder series thats only about 2 months old....im lost......:(

I thought the same thing....i checked that all the wires ar a OK.....:nice: but i did do this tho....
The only change i did was plugs and Valve covers....i have set of covers with a breather and a pcv...Now i sat here thinking of what the car is doing and i went to the edelbrock carb instructions and I remembered I changed the set-up spring when i put it on because i was having stumble issues....That was a strong spring...maybe to strong for the changes i have now meaning Whole exhaust upgrade...valve covers the motor breathing better...so i put the stock step up spring back in ...I took it for the same ride as before and it didnt seem to do it,and the car feels way stronger...I hope i fixed it...Tomorrow im putting in the A/F gauge to im thinking i can really fine tune it...I just hope that was the problem....if not i wonder why it didnt do it the whole ride....Im keeping my fingers crossed...