I'm a little concerned about future Mustangs

rconaway

Founding Member
Nov 11, 1999
Phoenix, Az.
I've been a Ford guy for a lot of years, E-150 work vans, Mustangs, Cougars, etc... for 25 years but that may be changing soon. My wife's parents buy a top of the line Taurus and what a lemon. The problem is that it isn't a defective windshield wiper, this is a dangerous problem of stalling while driving down freeways and I'm going to report it to the NHSTA since Ford won't get off their ass and fix it.

Three times they have been driving between 55 and 70mph and the car just dies in the middle of the freeway. They have spent hours on the phone with Ford and the dealerships trying to get a resolution. However, Ford has a stonewalling process that rivals the medical industry. So here is my promise, I have a lot of published articles and post to websites across multiple areas, so I'm giving Ford notice that if they don't get someone on this and my in-laws get injured over this in a freeway incident, I'm going to make my it my personal mission in life to expose the truth behind this defect in every single post and article until it gets resolved. If they can't fix this in the Taurus, who's to say this doesn't happen in the Mustang or any other car they build? Future mustangs, future E-150's, and future Ford Transits which I was looking at last week aren't going to happen until this gets resolved before someone gets hurt.

After doing some research, I've discovered that they aren't the only ones with this problem. Let's go Ford, fix this, NOW!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

No. My in-laws are filing with the NHSTA since apparently it's cheaper for Ford to ignore this issue than actually fix it. We've decided to let the Government handle it unless there's an accident, in which case, the lawyers will be handling it. In the meantime, my father-in-law is looking at a new Audi and getting rid of a 2010 Taurus. Not only doesn't he trust it, the response from Ford has been pathetic at best. Since my wife's uncle retired from Ford, everyone in the family has had Ford's 40 years but man, this is ticking me off. My company is getting ready to replace out work vans and for the first time in 20 years, I'm now recommending reviews of other products. Overall this could affect about 10 vehicles in the next 5 years but hey, Ford is doing great. Why would they need to bother taking care of their loyalist customers. I'm a consultant in the WISP industry and have written over 45 articles that are carried in magazines and website worldwide. My next industry article is going to include these couple paragraphs which I pulled:

On a different subject that affects all of us with work vehicles, I’ve been looking at the Ford Transit. I currently have an E-150 which has been a workhorse. We were looking to add a Transit Connect at the same time as another E-150. However, my wife’s parents have a top-of-the-line 2010 Ford Taurus and what’s happening to them makes me think I may be going elsewhere for a second work vehicle. On 3 different occasions, they have been driving down the freeway and the car has totally died. I’m thinking that senior citizens in a slowing or stopped uncontrollable vehicle on a busy freeway with everyone around them driving 70mph is kind of a dangerous problem. You might assume that Ford would want to fix that before someone gets hurt or killed or the NHSTA gets involved. Apparently that is not the case as they take their tech support queues from the medical industry also. Their corporate policy for this seem to be deny, obfuscate, transfer to 12 different people within the company, send to the dealer several times, take the car for a few days and give them a rental. Then when it doesn’t fail in 170 miles, give them the car back and tell them there is nothing wrong and nothing they can do.

I’ve been a Ford guy since the Pinto days and my 200mph Mustang demonstrates my dedication to that product line. In addition to the rolling bomb, the Pinto, I’ve been through Cougars, Mustangs, Windstars, and E-150’s, two of the three I still own. I’d still have the Cougar but someone rolled it down a hill. But this problem and their subsequent response ticks me off. So if the Taurus has this problem and Ford is ignoring it, what happens if I run into issues with any other vehicles I buy with their name on it. I’m taking on this case Monday for my in-laws and to give Ford a chance to make this right. I’ll keep everyone informed as to the results of this because if it happens to a Ford work vehicle and someone gets hurt, that would be disastrous."

This recommendation could affect sales of hundreds of E-150's or Transit Connects so I'm guessing it might get Ford's attention. But hey, if nobody in their company has pride in their products, then please, just continue to ignore my in-laws. If my in-laws replace this Taurus with an Audi before this issue gets addressed, I'm going to mention this issue in my next 10 articles. I want to make sure that nobody forgets that Ford apparently thinks lawsuits are cheaper than figuring out what's wrong with this car. Apparently either the idiots that made the Pinto decision in the 70's are still with the company and my father-in-law os out shopping this weekend so Ford is running out of time.

Having worked in a dealership both as a technician and a manager for 17 yrs I can say I understand the frustration. I can tell you however if the car is still under warranty don't be afraid to try a different dealer. Confront the service manager with what has or has not been done and be honest. Keep in mind also that if a repair has been attempted 3 times to no avail and documented then you have grounds for a Lemon Law buy back. Don't threaten the dealer be honest. Ask for help. I can assure you the management at Ford is gonna repair the car if possible and you just need to find the right person to contact.

The problem is that each occurrence has happened with several months between them and the dealer who took the car for a few days, put a whopping 170 miles on it over 3 days, which was all Ford would spring for a rental car, and surprise, couldn't duplicate the problem. This problem is all over internet with other Taurus owners so it's probably not something a dealer is going to figure out. What my father-in-law is concerned with is if he files with the NHSTA, if it's going to show up on CarFax, thus costing him even more money when he tries to trade it in on the Audi.

I appreciate the Lemon Law issue. What happens if the dealer can't duplicate the problem? How do you prove it?

In order for the Lemon Law to work for you they have to attempt a repair 3 times. Road testing won't get it. You need to contact Ford customer service (which I'm sure you have) and initiate a case. They will keep and monitor the records of the issue. Because they are unable to duplicate the problem does not mean that you don't have a leg to stand on. Unfortunately the dealer can't drive it for a month. I see that. But you have to be proactive and contact and keep contacting Ford. Keep records for yourself as well. Sometimes all it takes is for one good service manager or tech to LISTEN to you and for you to allow them to find the issue. I've driven many a new car with the interior removed manipulating wires trying to induce a problem. If it is there, a good dealer will find it. Factory engineers are also floating around out there going to dealers to solve issues. Tell Ford you want one to spend a day with your car. You have to call, call, call.

Thank you for the information. I'll work with them this week to get the history. I know that Ford was involved at some point but as of right now, it's not being follows up on.

The thing is, the customer shouldn't have to be so proactive. especially at their age. Ford knows there is a problem and probably have some educated guess as to what it is. They have my in-laws information so if they don't want to do their job, then I'm going to make sure that this issue gets out until they get on the phone and take ownership. As a business owner, the fact it's gotten this far has me ticked off.

Understood. I've been on both sides of the coin. Frustrating. And unfortunately older people are usually not the best at following up or understanding the system, nor should they have to be. But it is a lot like healthcare, if you want an answer you have to push. Be realistic but push. Good Luck

I hear you but sometimes the system needs a kick in the teeth to get it's attention. Sometimes it just takes a little Italian attitude.

All joking aside, the system is made up of people. They know what their job is and if they have any pride in it, they would take care of every customer. I'll keep pushing but it makes me very, very unhappy. And when I'm unhappy, I write articles, lots of them.

Reactions: 1 user
The problem is that each occurrence has happened with several months between them and the dealer who took the car for a few days...

rconaway,

My name is Cory from Ford Service and I want to help by escalating this up to your regional customer service manager. So I can do this, please send me a PM with your full name, VIN, best daytime phone number, mileage, and dealer details.

I appreciate the tag, Noobz347.

Cory

As I suspected and even with Cory's help, Ford is blowing off my in-laws. They got the same runaround with them that they got with the dealership. Apparently it's cheaper for Ford to have my retired in-laws get into an accident on the freeway and possibly get killed than it is for them to fix the car. That's crap and will be the last Mustang or Ford anything I will ever own. After owning Ford cars from 1978 to present, I think it's time I start telling them that their customer service sucks with my wallet. As an industry expert, I think I will also publicly start writing articles telling my colleagues that the Ford E-150 vans and trucks aren't a good choice because if their is a liability issue with it, which puts their businesses at risk, they have no recourse other than to make sure they don't restart the car when they get rear-ended on a freeway which was the advice that Ford gave my in-laws. If you can't tell, I'm ticked that a company that I spent a lot of money and time on left my family in the lurch to save a few bucks and avoid liability. Apparently they are too lazy to build a data-logger that doesn't erase codes when the car restarts. God forbid you put that in your trouble cars when you have an issue.

Ford, here is a preview of my next article on Internet. Since I'm at article 42 and my articles are read worldwide, even though it's a small industry, believe me, they get to the top of search engines at this point:

On a different subject that affects all of us with work vehicles, I’ve been looking at the Ford Transit. I currently have an E-150 which has been a workhorse. We were looking to add a Transit Connect at the same time as another E-150. However, my wife’s parents have a top-of-the-line 2010 Ford Taurus and what’s happening to them makes me think I may be going elsewhere for a second work vehicle. On 3 different occasions, they have been driving down the freeway and the car has totally died. I’m thinking that senior citizens in a slowing or stopped uncontrollable vehicle on a busy freeway with everyone around them driving 70mph is kind of a dangerous problem. You might assume that Ford would want to fix that before someone gets hurt or killed or the NHSTA gets involved. Apparently that is not the case as they take their tech support queues from the medical industry also. Their corporate policy for this seem to be deny, obfuscate, transfer to 12 different people within the company, send to the dealer several times, take the car for a few days and give them a rental. Then when it doesn’t fail in 170 miles, give them the car back and tell them there is nothing wrong and nothing they can do.

I’ve been a Ford guy since the Pinto days and my 200mph Mustang demonstrates my dedication to that product line. In addition to the rolling bomb, the Pinto, I’ve been through Cougars, Mustangs, Windstars, and E-150’s, two of the three I still own. I’d still have the Cougar but someone rolled it down a hill. But this problem and their subsequent response ticks me off. So if the Taurus has this problem and Ford is ignoring it, what happens if I run into issues with any other vehicles I buy with their name on it. I’m taking on this case Monday for my in-laws and to give Ford a chance to make this right. I’ll keep everyone informed as to the results of this because if it happens to a Ford work vehicle and someone gets hurt, that would be disastrous."

Here is the email I got from my in-laws last night. I appreciate your help Cory and your interest in helping but apparently your company doesn't feel the same way. What really ticks me off is that my wife's uncle worked his whole life for Ford and retired from there. To destroy that kind of family loyalty is not only bad business sense, it's just a stupid business practice. Either way, I'm beyond miffed now.

"We were finally able to catch up with Scott today. He repeated what we've heard in the past, that they can not do anything without a the computer code to tell them what the problem is. However, he did give us a new suggestion. He said that when we restart the car after a failure it wipes out the computer codes. So he said if it happens again, not to restart the car but to have it towed to the nearest dealer and not let anybody restart it until they have checked the codes. Then, they MIGHT get a good reading and be able to diagnose and fix the problem. Worth a try, I guess, but it still leaves us at risk and badly inconvenienced with the towing and trip interruption and all that entails. But I guess it's worth a shot. Anyway, what choice do we have? Since the car is now out of warranty we asked if Ford would cover the cost of fixing the problem? Again the answer was that they would review the case and decide when the time came. I guess that's all we are going to get. Thanks anyway for at least getting us another hearing at a higher level."
Dick

Because it might affect future purchases of Fords by people who haven't made a decision yet. If they aren't going to take care of Taurus owners, why should we buy future Mustangs? When a manufacturer blows off one a customer, especially one as loyal as I and my family have been, we all need to know what we might be dealing with if we buy another Ford. Remember what happened with the Cobra in 2000? I had a deposit on one. If it wasn't for the internet, I wouldn't have know all the issues which is why I got my money back and ordered a Steeda360GT instead. I would assume that if you were going to buy a car, especially what will definitely be a brand new model, that we need to know the company is going to stand behind it. Right now, Cory is the only guy that seems interested in that happening, which I really appreciate but so far it hasn't been enough. I'm really hoping this gets resolved because my 1978 Trans Am was the last GM I owned but the jury is still out. It's just sad that I have to go to this level of publicity to get this resolved for senior citizens who wouldn't know what else to do after they were told to live with it. Considering they buy new cars every two years, that's not a good policy. My father-in-law is about 2 seconds away from buying an Audi and never buying another Ford.

The problem is that each occurrence has happened with several months between them and the dealer who took the car for a few days, put a whopping 170 miles on it over 3 days, which was all Ford would spring for a rental car, and surprise, couldn't duplicate the problem. This problem is all over internet with other Taurus owners so it's probably not something a dealer is going to figure out. What my father-in-law is concerned with is if he files with the NHSTA, if it's going to show up on CarFax, thus costing him even more money when he tries to trade it in on the Audi.

I appreciate the Lemon Law issue. What happens if the dealer can't duplicate the problem? How do you prove it?

If the problem can't be duplicated and it's not showing up in any of the codes what do you suggest Ford and/or the dealer do?

Continue to work with it until it is duplicated. Many a new car I drove for days until they were duplicated. And as a skilled tech you have tools such as water in a spray bottle, or manipulation of harnesses that will track down the problem eventually.

If the problem can't be duplicated and it's not showing up in any of the codes what do you suggest Ford and/or the dealer do?

Actually, the product can't be duplicated in 3 or 4 days that the dealer had the car. At this point though, it's irrelevant. We aren't talking about a noise in the rear end, we are talking about a failure that could be catastophic and cause injury or death, especially at freeway speeds with senior citizens. And please tell me that it's impossible for Ford to put a data logger on the car that doesn't rewrite over itself every 5 seconds to find this problem because that's simply not true.

If it's me making the decision, I would replace all the electrical harnesses under the hood and the computer but hey, that makes too much sense. Yes, it's a couple thousand dollars but compared to the lawsuit that will ensue if the car does crap out out on the freeway again and there is a rear-end accident with senior citizens, that's going to be pretty cheap. Then throw in all the really great publicity that I'm going to generate until this gets resolved and it's a bargain. Based on my research, that's the best option for a catch all solution. Ford can then run all tests they want in the lab where no one gets hurt.

Nobody is trying to take advantage of Ford, I just simply want to make sure that my in-laws are safe and if they aren't willing to put a data-logger in the car, then just replace a few electrical wires and computer and see what happens. I'll sleep better at night knowing there is a chance we caught the problem in a butterfly net than worrying about them getting crunched. You would think after the Toyota debacle and the billions it cost them, Ford would learn a lesson about procrastination and denying the customer has a legitimate complaint.