I'm Back !!!

Robert Arco

Jan 28, 2017
Okay, its been a few years since I was a poster ...Still have my '08 GT California Special Convertible...but now, I have just started some modding. Added a JLT 3 cold air breather (and tune) plush Roush Extreme exhaust ..but it wont end there and be ready for lots of questions :)

Okay, lets start with this one...should I be truly afraid of changing my spark plugs (at 66,500 miles)? I have watched approx. 12 youtube videos, feel somewhat confident but heck man, Ford really could have spared a buck on anti-seize

So ? To fear or not to fear and ...great to be back..I have a few years of reading to catch up on :)

• Sponsors (?)

Okay, its been a few years since I was a poster ...Still have my '08 GT California Special Convertible...but now, I have just started some modding. Added a JLT 3 cold air breather (and tune) plush Roush Extreme exhaust ..but it wont end there and be ready for lots of questions :)

Okay, lets start with this one...should I be truly afraid of changing my spark plugs (at 66,500 miles)? I have watched approx. 12 youtube videos, feel somewhat confident but heck man, Ford really could have spared a buck on anti-seize

So ? To fear or not to fear and ...great to be back..I have a few years of reading to catch up on :)

That depends purely on how mechanical you are, whether you have a place to the job and own the necessary tools. If you're good to go in that department, I would still look at some of the solutions (in this very forum even) that people have used when things went south.

Thanks for the welcome and a lot has happened...1) Found out I have the 12mm...newer type plugs...phew 2) I ordered new plugs and coils (did I need coils..umm..no ..but I like Accel from way back in my muscle car years)
3) Also going to redo the ugly Aluminum valve covers...repaint and dress up...

I actually have a lot of projects lined up and will post progress and additions as I go..good to be back . :)

Okay, I would like to understand why the Stock are better then the Accel. I have seen a few anecdotal mentions of the accels (some folks didn't like them) but is there anything tangible other than a few cases? Is 10% more spark bad? Do they burn out easily ? Do I need to buy NEW stock coils or are mine probably fine at 67K ?

Okay, I would like to understand why the Stock are better then the Accel. I have seen a few anecdotal mentions of the accels (some folks didn't like them) but is there anything tangible other than a few cases? Is 10% more spark bad? Do they burn out easily ? Do I need to buy NEW stock coils or are mine probably fine at 67K ?

Well.... For me it was my Chevy Suburban. I tried two different Accel that I bought while on a road-trip (I'd broken a piece off of one of the connectors). I picked it up from a store where that's what they had on hand. It lived for less than a year (I know this because I got it warranty replaced). The replacement lasted some 12 - 18 months. The truck has 250,000+ miles on it. The rest are OE. Maybe that helps. The one that's in there now has been there over 3 years. It's an OEM replacement I got from Advance or Autozone.

Don't throw your old ones away is all. :)

I am not one to ignore experience and after some research, I don't need the headaches. Cancelling the accel coils and ordered the Ford Performance. Not that mine need to be replaced right now (67k) but I am doing the plugs and going to remove and paint the valve cover so ...maintenance is good :)

This morning I had the oil, manual trans and differential fluids changed. I am a believer in early maintenance as I intend to have my 'stang a long time. :)