Im cutting off my sub-frame connecters

atvcrazy

Jun 7, 2004
Eastman GA
I have a 99 cobra with some sort of sub connecters. They were on the car when I got it. I think they are the source of my crappy ride. I also have eibach springs. I really hate the way my car rides, its way to tight. It also bounces or lunges back and forth under normal acceleration. Will removing the connecters stop this problem? Please tell me and ill cut those suckers off tonight.

• Sponsors (?)

Dont do it man. Subframe connectors will always benefit your car. Stronger is better. There is something else wrong with your suspension. Look into upgrading your shocks or another possible reason why your suspension would not be working the way it should. Have you had the alignment done lately?

I really doubt the subframes are the root cause of the poor ride quality.

When you talk about the "bounces & lunges" are you referencing the drivetrain slop when you are shifting into the next gear? The independent rear suspension (IRS) on 99+ cobras are known for "slop," most notable while in 5th gear. ie - take your foot off the pedal, then stomp back on the throttle - you'll notice the car "jerk."

Finally, when the Eibach springs were installed, did you (or former owner?) change the old struts/shocks to match the new spring rates of the Eibachs? If you run a search, you can find an old thread or two which discusses spring rates & so forth.

You want to make sure your suspension parts all jive with one another. I am not sure if you have worn struts & shocks :shrug: ; suspension parts have to be properly "matched." How many miles do you have on the car?

Just some food for thought...

the car has 64k miles on it, the car jerks forward and back during normal acceleration. At wot its not there. Only when normal driving around town. The lower the gear the worse it is. In 4th and 5th it doesnt do it. I also have a 4.10 rear.

Sounds more like power train issue not subframe.
Correctly installed subframes can only benefit a mustang. Improperly installed you are more apt to have issues with not being able to align, won't track straight, doors won't seal or close

I agree with everyone here. Don't remove the subframes.

lunging on accel / decel is usually a shock problem. Sounds like they have no damping left and the car bounces.

Push down on the bumper while parked and see if the car continues to bounce up and down after letting go. This is an easy way to tell if the shocks are bad.

Does the car bounce after large bumps?

Back and forth lunging may be from the slop in the IRS drivetrain, as suggested, check the IRS bolts and look up the 12 to 14mm conversion for the IRS bolts. If you have the wrong bolts in the IRS, you get a lot of slop.

Also, some people don't like the feel of shorter springs, although this doesn't sound like it if you just don't like the accel / decel feel

Good luck