Im looking for a wireless internet card/router and an external harddrive..GET IN HERE

Im looking to get all of this for school next semester, and I dont know what to look for. I have 60gb RAM on my laptop (Dell Latitude 6000), and I want another 60 or so for just my music/videos and stuff. Does it matter much what I get or is it all the same? My friend said he would sell me this router for $20, is this a good one?

Model number: W1154PC11

Pictures:
brouter2.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

BlueOvalStangGT said:
I have 60gb RAM on my laptop (Dell Latitude 6000), and I want another 60 or so for just my music/videos and stuff.
I'm pretty sure you don't have 60Gb of RAM on your laptop. A 60Gb hard drive, sure, but probably around 256-512Mb of RAM.

So, you want an external hard drive. If you're willing to do a little computer DIY, you could buy an EIDE hard drive (I saw a 120 Gb Seagate for $60 in Best Buy this week) and an external hard drive enclosure with a power supply for $30-40 online.

That wireless router looks decent, it's the older 802.11b versus the faster 802.11g. If it works with your laptop, $20 is probably worth it. One thing to consider. Visit your new colleges website and look up their AUP (acceptable use policy). They may have their own wireless routers on campus and may not allow students to set up their own wireless network on campus for security reasons. I know that both wired and wireless routers were a :nono: where I went.

illwood said:
I'm pretty sure you don't have 60Gb of RAM on your laptop. A 60Gb hard drive, sure, but probably around 256-512Mb of RAM.

So, you want an external hard drive. If you're willing to do a little computer DIY, you could buy an EIDE hard drive (I saw a 120 Gb Seagate for $60 in Best Buy this week) and an external hard drive enclosure with a power supply for $30-40 online.

That wireless router looks decent, it's the older 802.11b versus the faster 802.11g. If it works with your laptop, $20 is probably worth it. One thing to consider. Visit your new colleges website and look up their AUP (acceptable use policy). They may have their own wireless routers on campus and may not allow students to set up their own wireless network on campus for security reasons. I know that both wired and wireless routers were a :nono: where I went.

Whoops, I meant ROM. Ill look into the DIY thing you mentioned, is it hard? As for next semester, I wont be living on campus so I should be fine. How do I find out if it works for my computer? How fast is that router?

BlueOvalStangGT said:
Whoops, I meant ROM. Ill look into the DIY thing you mentioned, is it hard? As for next semester, I wont be living on campus so I should be fine. How do I find out if it works for my computer? How fast is that router?
Not to dwell on this, but ROM is Read Only Memory, as in, CD-ROM. RAM is Random Access Memory[/b], it's where everthing the processor does is stored and used.

The hard drive enclosure is pretty easy, you have a box with snaps or screws that has two cables inside of it. One is super wide and keyed and goes into the data plug on the hard drive. The other is narrow (4 big pins) and is for the power to the hard drive. Put a hard drive in the box, connect the two cables and then fasten it back together. On the outside, you have a plug for a power supply and a USB (sometimes USB & Firewire) plug for connecting to a computer.

If you still have any of the info on your laptop you can see if it is an 802.11b or an 802.11g wireless setup. You should[/b] be able to connect to it no matter what because 802.11g is supposed to be backwards compatible with 802.11b. The router (802.11b) is 11 Megabit/sec. A 802.11g is capable of speeds up to 54 Megabit/sec. If you're doing primarily web-surfing with the wireless, it won't make much of a difference being on the slower one. If you're doing alot of data transfers to other computers on the same local network as your laptop, the 802.11g would be better.

illwood said:

AUP! NetOps is the dark side of the force.

Sorry, WPI specific off topic joke.

To the poster - If I were you, I'd just head down to best buy and pick up a USB 2.0 external HD. It's like 100 bucks for a 100 gig maxtor I believe. In fact I just looked it up and I know it is.

That router should be fine for your use.

Adam