Im new, need help with tranny sound

arabbit

Mar 11, 2010
Hey guys I just bought an 05 Stang GT yesterday, and as Ive been driving it, Ive noticed that if Im cruising and rev to around 4k rpms and shift, I hear a sort of clunking sound when I engage to the next gear..doesnt happen if Im driving it hard, just when im driving it in the mid rpm range and drop the clutch into the next geat. I know this is common on autos but mine is a 5spd manual transmission. Is this sound indicitave of a problem or is it normal? (This is also my first V8 RWD, so I dont know)

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

The drive train on these cars is very sloppy. With the 2 piece driveshaft, it is very pronounced with the manual tranny. Is it only at 4k rpms or also at the lower rpm band?

You could have worn out bushings in the LCA's or UCA. You'd have to get under the car to check.

And not to scare, but to inform, it could worst case scenario be your U-joints going bad on either the yoke going into the tranny, the u-joints on the axle itself(or cv joint can't remember what was in the middle) and the yoke going into the dif. Either way definitely something to look under the car for. IMO change your bushings first and see if that gets rid of it since u-joints are way more time consuming a project...