I'm picking up a 96 GT parts car this week! What parts should I take?

stangboy

Founding Member
Aug 31, 1999
New Orleans, LA
The main thing I want off of the car is the brakes and spindles so I can change my car over to 5-lug. Oh yeah, and it already has Cobra front brakes!! I'm also gonna take the whole rearend for the rear disc brakes and if it has a 3.73 gear I'll take that too. The only other thing I think I need is the alternator setup....Oh, and I'm taking the rims too(silver 99 Cobra rims).

Ok here's the questions I have:
What wheel fitment issues will I have using the 96 spindles? I know the ideal spindles to used are from a 94-95. Maybe I'll be able to get 94-95 spindles later.
Should I take all the brake lines too? The car has the hydroboost setup.

What is involved with switching my car over to hydroboost? Is it worth the trouble or should I just stick with power brakes?

What, in detail, do I need off of the car for the alternator setup?

Anything else I should take before I let my friends take what they want?

• Sponsors (?)

Leave the hydroboost stuff, its not worth the headache, those rims should be fine on your car

That's what I figured about the hydroboost, thanks for confirming. As for the rims, I know they'll fit but I plan on getting a set of FR500s 17x9 in front and 17x10.5 out back. I'm just wondering what kind of clearance problems I'll have with the 9" rims in the front.

Well, if you use s197 wheels, you might have a better chance of fitting 9" wide wheels.

Lave the hydroboost stuff alone, get a 93 cobra or 94-95 sn95 booster. For the mc, identify which cobra calipers you have. Ribs on the pistons are 38mm units. Smooth piston bores are the 40.5mm pistons.

38mm = 94-95 cobra
40.5 = either 93 cobra or 94/95 cobra

If the car has ABS, then take the ABS controller and all of the mating connectors, sensors, and as much of the wiring you can. Then, sell it as an ABS upgrade kit for Foxes. Even just the sensors go for ~$25 (used) on ebay. ABS units are ?$50?.

As for 96 spindles,
I have 96 spindles, B springs with 6 coils cut off, my car is lowered 10", and it out handles any car every made! REALLY, REALLY. Just read the forums, there are MANY of us out there. :D

Or, just read:
96+ spindles on a fox - the other site

Yea, BFD. MM and Jack are one of the VERY few aftermarket companies that has anyone with even 1 college course to their credit.

Well, *** them!
My ricer B springs, with coils cut off to boot, RULE! ;)
ricer-low-2.jpg

Anyone want to make a bet that someone will still reply to the thread about how great 96 spindles are with a stock k-frame and how ***ing awesome their POS setup handles? :)

Ok so I guess I'll just hold on to the 96 spindles until I get a MM K-member and I'm still on the hunt for a set of 94-95 spindles.

What do I need for the alternator conversion? Should I just take every wire that is connected to the alt? Are there any other wires I should look for?

Don't need any of the wiring...just need to Clip the single wire plug off with about 4" of wire as youll need that for then conversion. You'll need to run a new power wire.

Take the fan too...and the seats

K

Don't need any of the wiring...just need to Clip the single wire plug off with about 4" of wire as youll need that for then conversion. You'll need to run a new power wire.

Take the fan too...and the seats

K

Ok cool. I was thinking about taking the fan but I wasn't sure if the Contour fans were better or not. I'll definately snag the fan tho. Will the back seats fit right in my car?

You have the most confusing and pointless posts ever. its not just one here or there is everyone.
Let me guess, B springs? 96+ spindles?

I DO make the distinction between someone that wants a car that
o Has the lowered look. (IMHO, most people)
o Handles (second most popular)
o Has a correct lowered suspension. (a few people, want a better look, but also maintain/increase handling).

I also do technical writing (IMHO, too much). My posts are involved, have a lot of technical info, and I TRY to make sure that people know there are MANY possibilities.

People that write general Tech Pubs, have to write on a ~2nd-3rd grade level because anything greater confuses many people. I'm not a Tech Pubs writer. I write professional papers, analysis, etc. Professionally, I write for a technical audience that has at least a BS, although most have a MS or PHd. Because of my writing, there's also a tendency to ask me to play tech editor.

As I've said before, I'm a paid whore (consultant :)). So, as all good whores do, if the money is right for the task (like writing), then "Me make you happy - mister!". :)

Unlike many people, I do NOT do stupid *ss posts like:
Put B springs on your car, it'll handle like it's on rails.

There are a TON of issues involved in setting up a suspension for handling. Just suggesting a spring change to increase handling is moronic at best!

Considering that for the fast few years, I've had two simultaneous contracts (main one: With a FFRDC :flag:, Second one: work at home), I think that I do okay. :shrug: Especially for a Principal Engineer in this economy where Senor Engineers can do ~90+% of the work needed and will often work for a low rate because of the number of people competing for jobs.

I also often use sarcasm and humor in my posts. I know that often goes over the heads of a number of people. But, I do have better things to do. Adding sarcasm and humor makes it more interesting for me. If someone doesn't like my posts, read on.

I know that there are many posts about people running 96+ spindles on their stock k-frame and they say "how great it is". To be fair, even with 96+ spindles on a stock k-frame, the car will still handle better than most 60's muscle cars. But, that doesn't mean that it's a smart thing to do. Especially considering how easy and cheaply 94-95 spindles can be picked up.
People may want to check their local salvage yards to save on S&H. Check out:
Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

Im not saying his tech advice isnt good, its awesome. and no im still 4 lug. and plan to stay it.

Edit: now that o went back and read what i typed last night i dont think that came out how i wanted it. haha. That post was a little better.

I guess you going from serious to sarcastic every other sentence throws me off. Reading comprehension > me.