im pulling my motor, need some opinions.

i recently have noticed coolant loss and white smoke at high r's, supercharged go figure. the motor is a 78k original and makes no noise and does not burn any oil. i wanted to pull it anyways to clean everything up and paint the block ect.. my question is should i regasket everything and put it back together, or should i find a set of heads. if so what kind of heads, keep in mind this will be a total budget build and im not looking to make the motor radical. what would you guys do on a fairly limited budget.

• Sponsors (?)

yes i would find a set of heads. look on ebay there is always deals on used heads in good condition. or search forums like these and the classified sections. don't profess to know anything bought super chargers but i bet you wouldn't be going wrong with a set of 185 afr's or trickflow twisted wedge.

At a shop you would probably have to pay about 4to500 to get your heads worked . I would only to that if you budget is really tight and you absolutly can't spend 1000 or so on new heads. I don't think its the worst way to go but new heads would probably get you more power and weigh less. So if your on a very limited budget like me just get your worked over good luck!!!

Problem with buying heads in your situation is that it is going to throw your budget off by about $2000.

$1000 for the heads, and another $1000 worth fuel and misc parts to make it run right.

I'd add a set of aluminum heads to offset the weight of the supercharger if you can afford it, and I'd use studs instead of bolts for a more reliable seal on the HG. You also should consider replacing the stock intake manifold as it's a significant restriction to intake flow.

For more of a budget approach, have the stock heads freshened up by a local shop, and have tmoss port your stock lower intake to allow it to flow a bit better. Add a set of longtubes. Those two changes ought to let your Vortech pump a bit more air through.

i did plan on using arp bolts, or possibly studs. i also have a twisted tube gt-40 u/l setup that will be going on. obviously if i had 5 grand to play with i would just buy a crate motor, or buy the heads, bore the block, new pistons, new bearings yada yada. the motor still runs great, i just need to know whos had stock heads gone through and resurfaced, and what kind of gasket to use, (without having the head o-ringed).