Im still Running my stock maf. How much am i losing?

OrangeMustangGt

Founding Member
Mar 7, 2002
Cape Cod, MA
i recently took out my maf and noticed that damm!! that thing looks big around, but it has really a tiny area where air can flow due to the bar. Now, if i were to get a new one cal'd for my 19's and possibly a tb, what do you think im leaving on the table? see i thinks its alot, cause i got decent heads/cam/intake, and that in my eyes is the real bottleneck now. Oh. and plus i really need a tune, i hope you will agree with me im losing alot of power here with out a maf, and a tune?

• Sponsors (?)

You asked about tune, tb, and maf.

If you did them one at a time I think the most gain would be in this order:
1 tune
2 tb
3 maf

I think the tb is more of a restriction for you than the maf at this time.

What are your plans or goals for your combo?

IMHO you should start to think about larger inj's.

I would think those inj's would now be at their limit or after the tb & maf upgrade they could cause you some grief.

As far as maf & inj's I'd bet money you won't peg the stock maf but which ever way you go with your tune (self tune or chip) you will have a decision to make about maf & inj's.

A chip tune would make you wanna have all the parts in place before the tune.

Self tune would let you run the stock maf and upgraded tb & inj's.

Decisions it seems is a big part of our hobby.

Later
Grady

A new MAF makes a difference on a stock car so it will definitely make a difference with your mods. MM&FF and 5.0 magazine have both done tests on MAF sensors in the past on bone stock cars and gained 7-10 rwhp on them. With your mods you will see more, but go ahead and get some larger injectors while you are at it so you only have to get it cal'd one time. IMO, you should get the car tuned after you have all the right airflow and fuel components so that your gain will be to its full potential. Just my .02.

When i had my old 95 with the gt40 crate motor, i had the stock maf on it. Managed a best mph of 110 in that car. I dont think the MAF was really restricting me. Id do like grady says and start with a tbody and tune and see where ur at.

Have you actually dynoed it yet? Might be a good idea to get a good baseline #.

Be careful the MM&FF article was not on a 87-93 Fox car...their MAF's stock are far more restrictive than ours are stock.

When I had stock heads/cam and just bolt-ons with my intake, I was going consistent mid to low 99 traps. After adding just the Pro-M 77 with injectors and a larger fuel pump, I went mid to high 99 traps in similar weather. Best mph went from a 99.95 to 100.43. Granted this was not tested over many runs, but only on two separate occasions with similar weather. Gives you an idea of maybe 1/2mph = 3-5rwhp max. On a H/C car, it might be slightly more.

You will still gain some, but I'd follow Grady's advice and go about your mods in the correct order.

94DreamGT said:
Be careful the MM&FF article was not on a 87-93 Fox car...their MAF's stock are far more restrictive than ours are stock.

That is a very good point to bring out Jeremy. :nice:

If I remember correctly the fox body maf was only 55mm.

A thing or two I remember about the stock maf and tb on my combo you see in the sig. I'll share some tb & maf data from my car with you guys. Some of you might find it interesting.

I was at the point of pegging the stock maf at 4.9xxx volts. Don't remember the exact value but it was real close. 5 volts is the max value btw.

I got a ProM shorty 80mm maf & Ford 65mm tb at the same time.

I can see airflow in my Tweecer dataloggs.

I bolted the larger tb on and made a third gear wot blast to 6200 rpm and the datalog showed about a 30 killogram airflow gain. Keep in mind that this little test was done with the stock maf still in place.

After the larger maf was installed I pulled back a few degrees of spark and made few easy passes to check the wideband for af ratio. It was a bit fat but I was ok with that and knew that it was ok to go for a wot blast. I did the exact same test as above and saw a airflow gain of only about 10 more kg's.

You can see from those two simple tests that the tb was more of a restriction than the maf. :D

Later
Grady

ok here is my observations: i compared my MAF to a fox side by side, here goes.... the fox, indeed is much smaller physically, hole size. BUT its a straight through shot...no meter in the middle restricting its at the top, next if you look at a stock 94/95, its much larger, BUT it really only has 2 little half moon-type passages where air can flow, looking at them side by side, i would say that they probably flow the same, or the fox flows more...really...i couldent believe it, but look at em side by side. now, i put on a 65mm that i had from my explorer, it was ghetto rigged so i took it off, but it dident give me any notaceable power, however this was without a tune. i do agreee that i need a larger tb, but all im saying is that the maf is much more of a bottleneck then the tb. So, do you really think i NEED 24's? i would like to hold onto the 19's if i can, i should be ok....Next i was thinking, could i measure the voltage across the maf with a multi-meter and see if its pegging? what wires? thanks

GreenMustangGt said:
ok here is my observations: i compared my MAF to a fox side by side, here goes.... the fox, indeed is much smaller physically, hole size. BUT its a straight through shot...no meter in the middle restricting its at the top, next if you look at a stock 94/95, its much larger, BUT it really only has 2 little half moon-type passages where air can flow, looking at them side by side, i would say that they probably flow the same, or the fox flows more...really...i couldent believe it, but look at em side by side. now, i put on a 65mm that i had from my explorer, it was ghetto rigged so i took it off, but it dident give me any notaceable power, however this was without a tune. i do agreee that i need a larger tb, but all im saying is that the maf is much more of a bottleneck then the tb. So, do you really think i NEED 24's? i would like to hold onto the 19's if i can, i should be ok....Next i was thinking, could i measure the voltage across the maf with a multi-meter and see if its pegging? what wires? thanks

I gave you all the data I've gathered to try and let you know how I came to the opionion that I gave you. You could take the position that both the tb & maf will need to be replaced so it really does not matter. My intent was to tell you what I felt would give you the most gain for the money spent.

As for the larger inj's. I think we would all agree that a not so good thing is too much spark and not enough juice.

I'm gonna say from my experience that I got more power by twisting the dizzy for more spark. I think most would agree. More bolt-ons require more fuel. At what point do you run out of fuel on YOUR car. What do most of us do? We compare our combo to others that are kinda like ours. However the fact is that for the most part we or the guy down the road really does not know what the af ratio is. The 94-95 comes from Ford so lean that it is on the verge of ping city and lots of them ping from day one. The bottom line is that if you are not sure about your af ratio then you could be taking a chance of fuel starvation.

You can see maf volts with a meter. I don't know the details but they can be found on one of the tuner sites as I seen folks talk about doing it.

Later
Grady

I'd say your MAF is just as much a restriction as your t-body is as is your tune.. I think each could gain you 5rwhp almost equally..

I'd go with the TWEECER but that's just me I'm biased..

good luck !!