Roush I'm sure you guys seen these, but nobody mentioned them yet

• Sponsors (?)

I have a theory.

Tell me if I'm wrong.

Over the last couple of years a couple of guys including myself have really "educated" the public about the correct style and sizes that Saleen used on the handfull of S/C cars and SA-10's.

With that said, and again someone correct me if I'm wrong but I have not see even ONE set of wheels come up on ebay or otherwise that are the 100% correct wheels.

That is what the hardcore guys really want. A set with the correct centerbore, offset and size and most importantly the lip.

There have been a couple of sets from that guy Andy ( Sternville ) with a set of fronts or rears that were correct but not a homerun.

Joe, you and I know how to use spacers, have wheel guys with lathes, paint guys and so on and can calculate offset from backspace ( width of entire wheel divided by two minus backspace times MM.) ....... but most guys don't know how to correct a problem of fix something. THEY JUST WANT A set they can bolt up or at least send out to be re-finished and then just bolt them up on thier Saleen. You know?

To answer your question on this set...... it's the same old song and dance. They are the correct widths but that's all they have going for them. They are the wrong offsets, mind you they are only off by millimeters but that's enough for a Saleen guy to take a pass.

You and I both know that these were originally Supra wheels and Fairlady wheels ( what they call the 300ZX in Japan )

Heck, it's the first car listed in his description.

Anyway, that's my theory. George has a real nice set on his red now grey car. This lip model.

Marcus,

Aren't the fairlady Z wheels still the correct fitment for a Fox Saleen?

I remember taking pictures of Bill Price's 3pc Sterns on his 93SC-01 and the stickers on the wheel barrel said Fairlady Z

Yep,

That's what I said. :D

My guy here in Los Angeles is the guy who imported them for Steve. HRE was too expensive so the Face II was the alternative. The only thing is most "Fairlady" guys had the rolled aluminum lip version. The flat lip are more rare.

The fitment is the same for the SVO length rear as the Z but the Supra is different. Not much, but it is.

Marcus is correct. The set I purchased was correct size and correct offset but it has the curled lip of which is oddly enough the same wheels on the Red Saleen in the 90's parts catalog. I took mine off my red car, and put them on my Gray car, just to clarify Marcus, it's another car not the same car. Not sure if that's what you were saying but anyway, you are correct, most people want the look but are willing to use spacers to make fit the incorrect wheels. The only thing wrong when I got my set was the center bore had to be opened up. Being a machinist and having access to a lathe at work, suffice to say I was fortunate enough to take care of that myself.

I have the red car sitting on stands completely pulled apart and the Gray car is getting some paint attention then I plan to pull it apart and do some upgrades. I've got some nice pictures of them together parked in front of my house. The Gray car use to be Tim Yeager's Saleen. I traded my truck for the car. Now I need another truck :-(

That would be a great picture.

George driving ( doing the doughnuts )
Randy sitting shotgun and Scott and I hanging onto the headrests for dear life in the back seat.

George.

Yea, I know! lol. I saw you pics of the "deconstruction" on the other board.

I have been trying not to call it Tim's old car not to piss you off. :D

In response to Marcus' post about the futile search for the 'brass ring' (STERNS) for Fox-Body Mustang Wheels:
I have been on the hunt, for years for a set of Sterns, inarguably the best looking wheel, ever, for our cars. My criteria is a set of 17x8 front and 17x9 rear, proper bolt spacing, and the offsets must be reasonably close. I have no problem using a small spacer, 20mm or less, with longer wheel studs, in not an issue, for me. Also, the centerbore issue, can easily be solved by a good machinist, which I luckily have a good friend in the business. The lip is not an issue, to me. Saleen has used both, as evidenced by the cars and print advertising. However, the highly coveted SA-10's all had the (better looking) flat lip.
I agree with Marcus, that most people want the 'homerun' i.e. wheels with the proper widths, backspacing, centerbore, good condition, the flat lip etc. I found one set that was the homerun, perfect in every way, flat lip, proper width and offset, and brand-new in the box! Problem was, the seller was giving me a really good friend deal at $3K, and I just couldn't afford them, at the time. Good thing for my friend, because he ended up selling them for $4k!!! Worth every penny, IMO. I don't know if I had a point, just some ramblings on the subject.... :p

I don't know about those. The price was bit high, for a set with not that much going for it? Here is my scoring scale for the Sterns, IMO

20 points for correct widths (17x8 and 17x9)
20 points for correct offsets +24 and +39
20 points for correct centerbore width
20 points for the correct (flat) lip
20 points for condition/completeness/centercap

So a total of 100 points. These wheels are all 17x9, so subtract 10 points. These wheels are all the wrong offset, by 15mm going the wrong way, minus 20 points. These wheels do not have the correct centerbore, minus another 20 points. These wheels do not have the flat lip (subjective) minus 10 points. These wheels are complete, but they are in very rough shape, having sat outside for at least 1 year. They require complete restoration. Minus 10 points. So these wheels rate a 30% on my quickie scale.
The other wheels, that began this thread, probably rate about a 40%, maybe 50%, as the condition, other than the crack looked to be very good. They did need hardware, but I think the seller stated that he had all the hardware, but it was rusty? Those are the criteria that I have been using, while searching for a set. In order for me to even consider a purchase, the wheels would have to be the correct width, be complete and be in relatively good condition. All of the other things, I could deal with. Who wants to buy a set of wheels that need spacers, need to be widened, or narrowed, need to be centerbored and need to be completely reconditioned?! Apparently no one. On a curious not, if you do a search for Sterns there is a set of 16x8's, 6 spoke(!) with the same styling as our coveted Face II's, on ebay right now!

In response to Marcus' post about the futile search for the 'brass ring' (STERNS) for Fox-Body Mustang Wheels:

It could be "futile" since there's a fellow importing and storing sets of those "brass ring" +24 +39 Z wheels by the dozens.

If one talks to the older, eccentric gentleman in the LA area who used to collect and research Saleen items... all the 3-Piece Sterns that left their facility were not +24 +39. Like most things Saleen… nothing can be stated as "all" or in concrete. As an additional note from these conversations, if one is looking for responsiveness or ease of drivability… the +24s are/were not ideal for the front.

Given that these wheels only came factory on a handful of Mustangs… excluding the "updated" vehicles… I don’t think the version or original application of Stern wheel matters much. Since the wheel is incorrect on most everything besides those SAs and SCs.

My opinion… but I would think they’d be worth $4,000+ if a set comes with an original Saleen Performance Parts receipt showing their origin. Anything but… is just a story.

Lol.

The benchmark for the Face II are the same offsets and sizes ( including style ) that came on the SA-10's and the 93 SC cars ( excluding the HRE knockoffs and a few Logics.) Period. Everyone here now knows the specs. They were all the same sizes. Saleen used a small spacer on the SA-10's up front to clear the Alcons.

As far as the "version or original application" not mattering much is pretty far off. If that was true guys would'nt be falling all over themselves trying to get the exact spec wheels that came on the SA-10 and paying big dollars for them.

That is same reason why the dogshi* set on Ebay that started this thread were at a Buy it now price of $1,850. lol

Lol. I sure hope I'm not that "older" eccentric gentleman in Los Angeles. I actually got carded at Vons the other day buying Sam Adams. :D I only have a dozen sets anyway. :)

Lol.
The benchmark for the Face II are the same offsets and sizes ( including style ) that came on the SA-10's and the 93 SC cars ( excluding the HRE knockoffs and a few Logics.) Period. Everyone here now knows the specs. They were all the same sizes. Saleen used a small spacer on the SA-10's up front to clear the Alcons.

Some refute the claim that “all” the 3-piece Stern wheels that left SPP were of the Z persuasion.

As far as the "version or original application" not mattering much is pretty far off. If that was true guys would'nt be falling all over themselves trying to get the exact spec wheels that came on the SA-10 and paying big dollars for them.

If one is going to use the wheels, it doesn't matter the original application. As long as they are solid, safe wheels and not haphazardly adapted. The wheels were only OE on a handful vehicles.

If a set of Z spec Stern wheels simply become a garage ornament because of fear of damage and replacement value… then it almost becomes a “why bother?” Since they’re going on cars that never had them anyway. Or will there be a trend of pulling the AREs for Sterns, then pulling the Z Sterns for replicas. Or will it simply become garage talk… “I have Z spec Sterns in my basement, envy me.”

Show the “top dollar.” There are too many people with self-serving agendas. Outside the Saleen world… vintage Sterns are scrap. If people are willing to do leg work… most of what they desire can be had for dollars.

What we need are... most posts about how "everyone" needs, wants, looses their load over these wheels.

Ebay = poop. Too many shrill bidders and behind the scene shenanigans to use as a tool. If we believed in Ebay... then more of us would be like saleendreamforever and stocking $5.00 plastic plate frames thinking they are worth $50.00.

That is same reason why the dogshi* set on Ebay that started this thread were at a Buy it now price of $1,850. lol

? The "dogshi*" set that started the thread did not have a "buy it now."

Lol. I sure hope I'm not that "older" eccentric gentleman in Los Angeles. I actually got carded at Vons the other day buying Sam Adams. :D I only have a dozen sets anyway. :)

Ha. Naw'. Someone else. :)

What I find surprising is, the argument over correct spec Saleen wheels coming from a gentleman who solicited “1992 Spyder wheels” to Saleen owners that needed, like what? One-inch spacers, if not more, in order for them to work on a FOX car. Talk about a set of poop wheels.

Or once again... a self-serving agenda. :nice: