I'm the New Guy!!! 1993 5.0 HO w/AOD Trans. in a '35 Ford panel truck

Sorry to come in late, but I ran one of those large output alt's for several years on a fairly stock 302.
Damn near any time I hit the rev limiter, that alt would fail. Just missing an aggressive shift would kill it. It was costing me about $100 to repair it, and I did that every 6mo or so.
That was over 10yrs ago, so maybe they are more reliable now... but if you don't need that much power, there can be a downside to 'bigger is better'.

good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the warning. Were you running the stock E-7 pulley on the alternator? Not blowing chunks sounds like a good use for an under drive pulley. I bet the output at idle would still be a lot higher than a stock one.

Wild idea, I am pondering if an alternator with that much output could charge an auxiliary battery to drive a hybrid electric motor boost type system? It would be like electric nitrous oxide system without refilling the bottle.

Sorry to come in late, but I ran one of those large output alt's for several years on a fairly stock 302.
Damn near any time I hit the rev limiter, that alt would fail. Just missing an aggressive shift would kill it. It was costing me about $100 to repair it, and I did that every 6mo or so.
That was over 10yrs ago, so maybe they are more reliable now... but if you don't need that much power, there can be a downside to 'bigger is better'.

good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Some little specifics can escape anyone. After all, the 87 GT’s were advertised about 34 years ago. (I wanted the blue over silver GT they had two page ads for in Hot Rod etc. until the teal 93 Cobra went on sale). That’s a lot of time to have played with them since new. Thanks for the rest of the advice.

I'm totally new at using forums so please be patient. :) I'm building a 1935 Ford Panel Delivery with 1993 Ford Mustang 5.0 HO w/ AOD Trans.. It's going to be a daily driver!! I have questions about alternator upgrades.. Will a SR Performance Alternator, 200 AMP work with the engine I'm using??? According to American Muscle there is a fitment issue and they say no. I don't care about fit, I just want to know if it will work with my engine!!! Help!!!
Fun project. I put a 1995 5.0 HO w/ ADOE and the 3.27 rear end out of the same Mustang into my 52 Ford F1. I thought this was a tight fit. Your frame is even smaller. Can't help with the Alternator but may have a suggestion for getting the alternator to charge. The exciter wire to the alt expects a load to reduce voltage. In the Mustang this was done with a dash light and a 500 ohm resistor in parallel with it for back up in case the bulb failed. In my 52 I added a 500 ohm resistor into the exciter wire buy using a blade style fuse holder with a cap to protect it and soldered the resistor to the blades I removed from a fuse.