In today's age, 5.0s just aren't competitive...

Well I drive my dream car. I always wanted a silver coupe and I have one. It gets alot of attention because you may see alot of hatches but, very rare do you see a nice coupe that isnt tired or in good condition. I think with a mustang 5.0 you draw a different kind of crowd thats more passionate about the car. They remember the days when nobody wanted to mess with one on the street. Even though a 5.0 has alot of competition these days I thinks its like someone else said you never know whats under the hood with a 5.0. I went to highschool with a guy that had a 5.0 that was seriously 6 different colors and put together from the junkyard. The car was a low 12 second car but, looked very bad. The girls would say it was ugly and the guys would drool as he pulled away from school sideways.

• Sponsors (?)

There has definitely been an huge spike in the performance of cars over the last 10-15 years and I agree that the cars of today make it so you can have it all, driveability, amenities, power, hell even fuel economy, if that new ZO6 is really pulling down 27mpg/hghwy. The mustang with a STOCK 5.0 engine really can't compete except maybe from a dig, with perfectly setup suspension, drag radials, and a race distance of maybe an 1/8th mile after that, the legs of these newer cars will run it down in the hands of anyone but the most incompetent of drivers.

Still, I love my '92 coupe. Most guys that know anything at all about cars will yell **** at me, or walk up to me to talk about cars when I pull into a gas station or similar.

I gave in and sold the Fox for a Terminator.

I realized that everything I wanted was already in a car from the factory.

I don't feel that I am not a fanatic just because I bought a newer car. Most who know me know that I have owned 5 Fox's before my Termy and I have gotten my hands plenty dirty over the years. Heck, I still like to get my hands dirty working on my car or helping friends with theirs.

The Fox will always be the car I remember that drew me to Mustangs but I enjoy my Cobra more than I did my foxes.

look at i this way. the mustang is still goin strong and taking new cars all the time. sure they may be modded or what have ya. but its a 20+ year old platform and is still up there with the new cars TO THIS DAY.

could u say that for the old camaros or other performance cars of the fox's day?

and where i am from the fastest cars are 5.0s i live in a small town (15k pop.) and u dont see new vettes, Gt500's, modded camaros or any of that stuff.

all we have here is gay ricer boy imports and mustangs which are the real cars around here with the serious drivers.

i think the fact you still see countless mustangs all over says it all. if it were too bad we wouldnt see them. sure they may not take a 500 hp vette or any other things but look at the price.

60000 vette = faster
5000 stang = fast, but you will have more fun in a stang, bc people do all their modding and know how to work with these cars and are not afraid to hot rod the cars and if they break, its not like they arent easy to fix.

Whoa! What's with all the hostility?

Lol! I was just thinking that he belongs on my last thread, with the rest of you angry sacks!..Then I read this. :) Really, if he gets hostile here, he missed a whopping time yesterday!

There is a lot more to a car than simply the power to weight ratio. Modern cars enjoy a slew of new chassis/suspension technolgy. You'll notice a trend in aftermarket suspension for the Fox cars - they are learning from the newer setups to help make the older cars able to capture some of that horsepower. It's obvious that something is up when you see current performance cars putting down 3-4 second 0-60 times....on STREET RADIALS.

As to which is better? To each his own - I can see great things about both.

Pretty much anyone can go buy a OEM "fast car" and have the same thing all his buddies have.....Why show up in the exact same car as everyone else and run the same as everyone else.
Build it and run it. You may not be as fast as some but youll likely beat most in your class.
It takes some one with skill,desire,and some money to build a fast car on there own.

Pretty much anyone can go buy a OEM "fast car" and have the same thing all his buddies have.....Why show up in the exact same car as everyone else and run the same as everyone else.
Build it and run it. You may not be as fast as some but youll likely beat most in your class.
It takes some one with skill,desire,and some money to build a fast car on there own.

Hate to tell you but anybody serious with their car, goes out and gets a new one and MODS it. I havent seen a stock 03 Cobra in alongggg time, or a stock F-Body for that matter, hell even a stock 4.6 GT.

Ive never had a problem decimating just about every newer car off the line, even if it does have 200 more hp than me. Not about about numbers heh. The fox is still very competitive if built right. Nevermind the fact its fun as hell watching people in their brand new cars get blown away by what looks like an old stock 5.0.

Wow...i'm not even going to touch on some of the stuff in here....i'll just say this. The only reason a Fox isn't "competitive" in "today's age" is because people aren't putting 80k into their street Fox Body like you'd spend for a new Z06. The parts and good old pushrod tech are out there, and the suspension parts are out there, to build a plane old Mustang just like my coupe that will SMOKE THE BALLS off a Z06...it just takes the green to make it happen, and when it comes time to cough up that kind of cash, people just go out and follow the heard and buy new.

:puke:

it's a lot easier to finance for a 50k dollar car than to get 50k in cash for performance parts and body work.
the bank wont want to see a vehicle worth 5-6k at the most used for collateral on the kind of cash that it would take to make a mustang stomp on a vette.

it's a lot easier to finance for a 50k dollar car than to get 50k in cash for performance parts and body work.
the bank wont want to see a vehicle worth 5-6k at the most used for collateral on the kind of cash that it would take to make a mustang stomp on a vette.

Right, i understand that and i agree, but that wasn't really the point of the topic. Ultimately a Fox Mustang can't do anything you want it to, but it was never built with dominating 500hp cars to begin with! That's the funny thing! After 20+ years it's STILL the benchmark by which even 500hp supercars are measured! And the most powerful one didn't even have 300hp from the factory! :lol:

yeah I know my last post took it to the extreme. benchmark 400 hp cars are gettin more and more common and it's hard to ignore them in the racing bracket. people stick to foxes out of loyalty, maybe it was the car you had in hgighschool and college or you the midlife crisis car that was purchased years ago. either way they are fun and the boys and girls that drive them know that they are fun that is why we still buy them and restore them when we have to.

My point was that the Fox Mustang is what every Mustang ever has been, and that's what you make it...it's design from day one was meant to be what the enthusiast wanted the car to be and to get out of it what they wanted. Comparing even a well modded '80s sports car with that of a Z06 is beyond apples to oranges...it's like airplanes to sailboats.

Then of course, you find a person who HAS put enough money into one of these cars to actually run nose to nose with some high dollar car, and they'll call it a racecar and say it's too modified. Hell even if you compare a KB Cobra with a Z06, the first thing anyone says is "Well, the Cobra has a Kenny Bell...blah blah". Well, if racing was limited to stock production cars, i don't think many cars from the US would stand a chance in hell against half the cars from the rest of the world.

It all comes down to money...simple as that. Give me the cash to buy a Z06 and let me put it into my coupe, and it will out accelerate, out handle, and out brake it. As for anything beyond that, like i said before, they can't do everything, but then again neither can a Z06 since you can spend a fraction of that 80k and run faster than a Z06 in the quarter.

Everyone needs to remember that fox mustangs were produced during the dark ages of performance. I believe the fastest American production car in 1985 was the Dodge Omni GLH! I think the video on the home page titled Lotus Exige vs. Ford Mustang is the perfect example of what the mustang stands for and how it is constantly being compared to cars that are 20 years newer, with much more technology and 50k more expensive.

Everyone needs to remember that fox mustangs were produced during the dark ages of performance. I believe the fastest American production car in 1985 was the Dodge Omni GLH! I think the video on the home page titled Lotus Exige vs. Ford Mustang is the perfect example of what the mustang stands for and how it is constantly being compared to cars that are 20 years newer, with much more technology and 50k more expensive.

Yeah there's a guy here with an 11 second GLH...it's sick :rlaugh:

Cars will just keep getting faster and faster. Hell, in 10 years minivans will come stock with 500hp. Just another thing in life that sucks and you can't control it.

SOB 500 HP MINIVANS!!! DAMN i'm gonna quit driving before that! Those soccor moms will be killing people faster than the military!!! :eek: