Indiglo White Face Gauge Review

marvinmycat

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2002
Buffalo, NY
I just wanted to post something about the gauges I ordered from Indiglo.

After one other install of a different manufacturer's white face gauges that ended up not living up to their name, I went for the Indiglo's. The next cheapest ones I could find ($77 - includes shipping).

First of all, anyone who needs to power their gauges should be using the brown wire that comes off of the dimmer switch assembly.

The thing about the Indiglo's for the 96-98 Mustangs are the following:

They aren't as crisp looking when compared to other white face gauges due to the fact that the technology behind back lit gauges prevents the crisp lines, at least in the case of Indiglo.
The gauges fit right over the factory gauges, and also install right over your needles, so you don't have to screw with those, but they'll be off anyway after you get them on. The gauges sit right in existing guide posts, etc., and fit, BUT the printing is off on them. The entire idiot light row symbols on the bottom of the gauges is at the very top of the black hole in the gauge pod insert. Infact the farthest left and roght most symbols have the top corners covered by the gauge pod insert. These symbols are also visible during the daytime without the lights on. The tops of the Speedo and Tach areas aren't centered properly and the lines up at the top are a little short where showing through the black face plate of the pod insert.

You can't really move the Indiglo's up or down, as then your turn indicators at the top slot would be touching the bottom of that hole.

Now for my favorite. The A-holes that made these things didn't even use the same size symbols or fonts as the original Ford gauges. This means that when you turn your car over, or an idiot light comes on, it looks like hell as they are mis-aligned. Since these gauges are made to have the original symbols/words light up using the Ford gauges behind them, they look like hell.

I ended up cutting the idiot light portion of the Ford gauges out and put a red cellophane piece of plastic over it using Scotch Tape just to have them light up properly. The L/R turn indicators and the high beams are off too. I'll more than likely cut the Ford gauges again after I find some green cellophane to put back there.

As I do a lot of driving, and after the first disappointment, and now a second one (sort of), I'll just learn to live with the faulty product as I'm getting really tired of playing around with the Speedo and Tach now for the second week in a row.

These gauges are "O.K.", and really aren't that hard to put in. Harder than replacing the headlight knob, but easier than bolting on a super charger. If you're a perfectionist, DON'T get these! If you can tolerate some having to hack your original gauges up, then you make the decision.

Pictures will be coming later sometime this weekend.

Just thought I'd let everyone know...

• Sponsors (?)

94GTStang said:
Personally I love my indiglo gauges I bought from http://www.streetracerparts.com/
They went in easy and are way better looking than the Mac's I put in my 94GT. I can barely see the gauges at night with the Mac's and not to mention getting the needles correct again.

I have the same gauges and they are perfect. Paid 40 bucks on ebay.

If I were you I would send that other crap back. If it doesnt even align right, take a picture, and send it back with gauges demanding your cash back. :puke:

94GTStang said:
Personally I love my indiglo gauges I bought from http://www.streetracerparts.com/
They went in easy and are way better looking than the Mac's I put in my 94GT. I can barely see the gauges at night with the Mac's and not to mention getting the needles correct again.

Which type did you get, the regular, reverse or reverse halo? I didn't see any for a '96 V-6 though. I kinda like the reverse myself. Looks really sharp. They even had one for my other car! My '85 RX-7. To bad I'm having to sell that car. :(

I didn't specify which ones I got - sorry. They're the ones that the whole gauge lights up. Reverses are the ones where just the numbers and such light up? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Seeing that's it's dark out now - I'll rush out and smap some pics for you all. Be right back......

Take a look at the following pics. The first one is of them off in day time mode. Note' how on the tach (the speedo is covered in camera flash glare), noted by the purple line shows where the gauges are shifted upward thereby reducing the amount of line visible as opposed to the red areas where they look pretty good. The blue markings show just how much off the idiot lights at the bottom are and the cirlse show where the symbols are actually cut off at the corners.

http://www.msnusers.com/[email protected]/Documents/KNOB/Indiblows - off.jpg

When they are on, even thought the L/R indicators and high beams are centered within the hole correctly, the original factory light colors are off and pervert the symbols to the point where they just don't line up.

http://www.msnusers.com/[email protected]/Documents/KNOB/Indiblows - oN.jpg

I'm not replacing them, and I'll just live with them for now. Messing with the gauges is too much of a hassel right now, and I don't feel lie spending more money at a dealership just to hook the pod up to a portable WDS unit to calibrate them exactly.

Hmm mine were 40 dollars shipped. I love um. Fit perfectly in every way and a real easy install. Only problem is that you can see the bottom row of crap like ebrake, abs, etc. at all times. They stuck their own little symbol that lights up right there but its visible when the gauges are on. EX: picture below. Other then that they are great in every way. Got them off ebay.
interiorglow2.jpg

Escept for the speedo and tach, the bottom row looks off on yours as well. Actually, I don't care anymore. Ive torn apart my pod so many times, I'm ready to see a retaining clip break off. I've painted my interior, including the gauge pod surround, and if it breaks, that's another $20 and three hours worth of work all over again. I'll just live with them.

I think I'm cursed for some reason. No install of minehas EVER gone smoothly escept for the billet headlight knob!

Can anyone help me here.
I have some indiglo gauges I bought off ebay and they gave me **** directions.
Can anyone help explain to me how to do the wiring?
Scott Birkemeier

Connect the lead wire from the gauges to the BROWN wire behind your headlight knob, in that harness. Connect the ground wire of the gauges to anything metal that looks like it's substantial.

My night shot looks like Hell, but Ganador's pic pretty much shows how they look.

I also ordered a crappy gauge pod off eBayMotors and cut the idiot lights out of the Indiglos as well as cut a hole where the turn signals are. I then used the crappy idiot light panels I purchased and put those back in because, me like a dumbass, threw my stock gauges away. See pics below...

Old pics:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Indiblows%20%2D%20off.jpg
    Indiblows%20%2D%20off.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 186
  • Indiblows%20%2D%20oN.jpg
    Indiblows%20%2D%20oN.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 189
I have a 03 and I bought mine off of Ebay and they were easy to install, except for sometimes my Tach sticks for a sec. other than that i love them for the 35 bucks i spent.

wallfruit said:
I have a 03 and I bought mine off of Ebay and they were easy to install, except for sometimes my Tach sticks for a sec. other than that i love them for the 35 bucks i spent.

Some thin double-sided tape will fix that, or you can pull your needle back toward you some.

on my 02 I just did the simplest thing nobody seems to think of. You basically are wanting white faced gauges, correct? What does it really matter if they are LED, indiglo, or whatnot? I just got a new face for my cluster, no wiring changes, $30 on ebay. Looks great!

Heres a pic of my MAC white faced gauges and 35th aniversary bezel on my 95...
i couldnt get a pic of it at nite, my bro has the camera somewhere...
otherwise i plan on taking some LEDs or something and lighting this baby up in blue!