Inexpensive Mods? (have around $300)

bwallop

May 14, 2011
Hey guys, how's it going? First of all, I know, use the search button. But there's just so much information it's a bit overwhelming and not exact enough. I know that many of you are far more knowledgeable than me and would know of specific ways to spend the money. I have an 01 GT auto with 4.10 gears, flowmaster exhaust, BBK CAI, and sct livewire tuner. I'm looking to improve power but at the same time I want to be able to efficiently use that power. I've read some good things about lower rear control arms and such. But if you guys think it's not needed and would recommend more power mods before that then feel free to comment (btw, no nitrous, I would rather stay all motor). I just want to make sure I am making the right mods and not blowing money. I'm sure you all know that feeling. Thanks a lot.

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome. From your list it looks like you are well on your way. This is what I would recommend (it doesn't matter, you pick power or suspension)

Best bolt-on power mods for under $300 are (in order):
1) midpipe (I prefer h-pipe or prochamber, especially with your flowmasters)
2) TB/Plenum
3) Long tube headers (more like $400 but I'll include them in the list)
(if you plan to do long tube headers in the future take into mind that long tubes require modification to your midpipe, just something to consider if that is in your future plans)

Suspension mods for under $300 (in order again):
1) Full length subframe connectors (~$120 + ~$100 for install), one of the best suspension mods ever.
2) LCA's (like you mentioned)
3) Lowering springs (eibach, ford racing, etc. etc.) + CC plates + alignment (probably will be ~$400 total)
4) Shocks/struts (best done in combination with #3)

I'd keep saving toward "bigger" mods.

Or use the money for fuel.

Or think about the fact that the car is now 10 years old and may need basic maintenance in the suspension bushings, brakes, wheel bearings, tie rods and the like and put the money towards that...

I'm not as familiar with the newer automatics, but a good street/strip shift kit might add some excitement instead of kinda sloshing thru the gears. At wot and 4.10's the tires would probably chirp when it shifts.