Info/help On A 302 Timing Crank Gear

lovemy82GT

May 9, 2017
I am working on finishing up, a 82 GT Resto project. I decided to put the timing chain on. I purchased a double roller set up, for it. My problem is I cant get my crank gear to slide on. There are no burs or damage to the snub of the crankshaft. I walked over to another motor I have which is a 93, and it slid right on. So do I need to order a special timing chain set? I can machine it if necessary, but don't want to. Should I use heat to put it on? Kinda lost at this moment. I don't have the original stuff no longer for the car to compare to.

• Sponsors (?)

it's supposed to be tight. heat up the gear in boiling water and use the old gear or a large steel or aluminim sleeve to tap it on. The diameter of a SBF snout is 1.375" I think. and the gear shout be like 2 or 3 thousand smaller by design

So the crank is original to the 82, it measures 1.376 the gear measures 1.370and my other 93 motor is 1.374. I am use to them sliding on and off like liljoe07 said. In doing some research I also here people heating them up. I will warm the thing up and give it a shot.

gents i thank you for you help. I used a propane torch to heat it up(didnt want to take any hardness out of the gear) 5 minutes of heating, front and back and it slid right on. How do I close out this thread.

It will live on in infamy, if someone googles crank gear install it my show up and help someone.
Don't go away just cause your immediate problem is resolved, post up what your planning and maybe some pics to show your work.

gents i thank you for you help. I used a propane torch to heat it up(didnt want to take any hardness out of the gear) 5 minutes of heating, front and back and it slid right on. How do I close out this thread.

In order to close out a thread, send $100 in unmarked bills to the care of

STEAM- Stangnet Taco Emergency Account Management
100 Behind the Walmart Ave
Your town USA

Please wait 4 to 6 weeks for confirmation or send another $100 for tacos whichever comes first.

Reactions: 1 user