Initial thoughts on the GFORCE T-5 (GF-5R) as they call it

go-stang5.0

Jan 27, 2003
Glenview,Il
Well, it cost me 1500 bux total for a rebuild kit (170) and the gear set w/26 spline input shaft 1st thru 3rd gear and their heavy duty countershaft (950) new stock 5th gear(100) and (250) for labor. Got it rebuilt locally by a shop that deals wit mostly performance stuff. Anyways, I must say its not harder to shift than a stock T-5 and its not really that loud. First thru third is about half as loud as reverse sounds on a stock tranny. Fifth sounds like a stock T-5 (but it has a stock 5th gear so that would be logical) and fourth is still silent (since it is direct drive). I am still breaking in the new clutch disc but after that well see how it holds up at the track.... If anyone has any questions let me know. But nobody really runs this kit here so I figured that for those who may consider this kit just remember I'm the guy that has one. :)

• Sponsors (?)

You say it shifts fine, but how about downshifting? (around town and preparing to exit a corner quickly)

What made you rebuild it? Did your old one die, or is it preventative maintenence?

What kind of times are you runing and what kind of power are you putting to the ground?

I hope it works out well for you, because I have one of those in my shopping list, but it's near the bottom, so I should have plenty of data before I buy one.

actually 1470 but if you count the clutch disc it is 1580. I removed and installed myself so thats that. Wow, I just started going through the bad on that one forum that Fastman posted about....I'm still using my stock mainshaft but it seems he got the upgraded one. THat does suck ...I'f I had known I would have thought about this some more. Oh well, too late now. I'll let you guyz know how it feels as far as sturdyness when I really start abusing it.

Actually downshifting is about the same as stock too, I'm actually practicing heel and toe with it as I break it in.

I have a DSS 331 stroker w/ AFR 185's and an eddy performer intake. Soon to be a RPM II. I'm guessing about 330 rwhp or so (your guess is as good as mine). Oh I ran 13.7 @ 109 w/ 2.4 60 ft. That was on the stock T-5 shortly before it broke. Anyone else? :p

red94fiveo said:
Wow, I don't think I'll ever be getting a G-force after reading that post.... I guess its time to start saving up for the viper spec T56.
Viper spec T-56 trannies 'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me'in rock!! My roommate just got one in his 98 cobra last week. Its all broken in now and it is really nice. All i can say is that is what is gonna be under my car when i bust my T-5. Its so close ratio and the revvs dont fall as much between shifts than with his T-45 its awesome!!

Hey go-stang, what are your thoughts on the G-Force after a few weeks now? How much more noticable is the gear whine in 1-3? What 5th gear did you get? OEM? Or the heavy duty ones as listed in the FRPP catalog (2003 p.119)? Where did you get the 5th speed gear? Does the input gear and cluster shaft gear arrangement cause the original 5th gear to switch to a .59 ratio? G-Force lists 5th as .59 or .73, what determines the difference? Is it the 5th speed gears or the input gears?

As for the 1 horror story, I'm not going to let it stop me from getting one (if that's the route I decide to do). I've only heard of that 1 person having trouble with it, and it's probable that he exaggerated the story. Has anyone heard of anyone else having a bad experience with G-force gearsets? Even with 1 bad experience that most likely has been exaggerated, that sounds like a good record to me.

Besides, I'm not going to get anywhere close to the 600hp limit. I then wouldn't need the upgraded mainshaft. This should make the trans bulletproof and capable of upgraded power. For 94-95's, the G-Force seems more affordable than a TKO. With the TKO in a 94-95, you also have to buy a bellhousing, DS spacer, clutch fork, shifter. That's a good $400 more. So G-Force = less cost, more torque capability, and better shifting. Considering my HP level, it sounds like a winner to me.

Rick

If you are looking for a G-force T-5 then get one from astro performance. They are located in Tavares FL and build one with a core exchange for $1400. It has a different mainshaft, more splines than a stock T-5, maybe a tremec design? But as for how much HP it can hold, it is rated at 600. I talked to Tony at Astro and he said if I put down 500 hp to the wheels the tranny and the Mcleod Clutch w/ a King Cobra pressure plate is all I would ever need. His # is 1-866-253-0019, and ask for Tony.