initial timing, spark plug gap,

Stang_1973

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2001
San Antonio, Tx.
Ok well, i plan to finally get some stuff don this weekend and next week. Carb is coming off for a rebuild. Gonna find and take care of oil leak. I believe i fixed my vacuum leak, will onfirm after everything is back together.

So, since ill be doing a tune up, considering the mods in my sig, what shouold i gap the plugs? I remember back like 2 years ago, my mechanic said they should be a little hot but i dont even know what they are supposed to be gapped at.

Also Since i will be getting the car to run right and tuning the carb a bit, i know i should firt have the correct timing, so what shoud my initial timiing be set at according to my mods.

Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

Finding your optimum base timing will take some time at the track, but a good starting point would be 14 degrees initial. As for plugs, run either a Motorcraft ASF42C or Autolite 25 gapped between .045 & .050.

I agree. Your motor will be happy with more initial than stock. I am not sure what distributer you have, but if it is an original 1973 model, it may have way too much mechanical advance. Here is some good info on durasparks. Duraspark_distributor_recurve_instructions_index Mine had 40 degrees of mechanical advance. I ended up welding the windows up and grinding them down to get the desired amount of mechanical advance.