Injector Leaks at Rail, Got New O-Rings...Proper Way to Install?

brentwoodboy

Nov 25, 2002
Brentwood, TN
K, my #1 injector was leaking on my way to my dad's car lot this morning. I ordered some new o-rings from Autozone and reinstalled it. BTW it was leaking where the injector and fuel rail meet. I put some WD40 on the o-ring and stuck it (the injector) back in. It "pops" in nicely, but falls out easily too...Well, got home and it is still leaking gas. Did I install the injector in the rail improperly? Should the rail have an o-ring inside of it? :(

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like you did it right.

Last set I did (on my '90) was because I had a leak on the #1 injector where it met the rail just like you.

I replaced the pintle caps on the bottom of the injector at the same time (got them from PepBoys) and the top and bottom o-rings. I used some heavy grease on the o-rings so that they didn't bind and cause a leak. Also when I was putting the fuel rail back on the intake, I put a little downward pressure on the rail as I screwed it into the intake to make sure it all stayed in place.

If I remember correctly, the injectors stayed in the rail when I lifted it off the intake - they didn't just fall out.

I'm not sure what the purpose of the pintle caps is other than to perhaps keep dirt and carbon from clogging the pintles. Regardless I figured they were on there for a reason and when I broke two of them during an o-ring replacement, I went ahead and replaced them all on my '90 very inexpensively with a kit from Pep Boys.