Inner Tie rod ends?

OrangeMustangGt

Founding Member
Mar 7, 2002
Cape Cod, MA
:bang: I brought my car to get aligned today, and after a long explanation about the pushbutton start and not to test drive it because of no tune, i was told that my inner-tie rod ends are bad.....:mad:

Now, ive taken apart every thing on my stang except that :rlaugh:

What is involved in replacing those.,....are they under the boots on the rack?

thanks for the help guys

• Sponsors (?)

remove the outers you have done this before right? and and unscrew outer tie rod from inner and when you reinstall you want to screw the outer in to the new inner up to the same location on the thread.remove jamb nut from inner.remove inner boot clamp.remove outer boot clamp. slide boot off. the inner rod attaches to the power steering rack and at the fitting ,unthread it to remove. the install in reverse then imediately after changing get a front end alignment....

here are some illustrations hope they help...
tierod95mustangpg2.jpg

b03a8835.jpg

Attachments

• tierod95mustangpg2.jpg
    tierod95mustangpg2.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 290
  • b03a8835.jpg
    b03a8835.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 225
Do SN95 racks not have the pin that has to be drilled out to remove the inner tie rod? That's kind of the PITA part of doing an inner on a fox.

I would make one notation: If both inners are bad, price new (quality - you dont want to do this and an alignment again) inners vs a new or reman'd rack. On my fox it was better money spent to get a reman'd rack (came with new inners).
Good luck.

nobody mentioned that u need a special tool to remove the inners, basically a long tube that accepts the correct adapter for the inner tie rod at one end, and the other end has a hole for a 1/2 inch ratchet/breaker bar so this way u can get the leverage to beak it free. my kit has about 5 different adapters for all different cars. i guess if u had a wrench big enough u could try to break it free that way but the tool makes it alot easier.

ok guys, as an update, it only took me about 1.5 hours and it was really easy.

If anyone is gonna do this in the future, dont even try and drill out the retaining pins. Take a flat whood chisel and hit around the head to bring it up a bit, then grab it with some dikes, and they come right out......takes like 5 mins each. other than that straight foreward...just unscrew them from the rack and put new ones on.

Did you use a screw or something in lieu of the pins (I had a very strong feeling that there should be pins in there, but since I didnt know on an SN rack firsthand, I didnt comment further)?

Glad to hear you got it whipped in such short order. :nice:

Doing a little digging from the graves, but wondering how the new tie rod ends (both outer and inner) worked out for you?? My steering has gotten pretty sloppy, and I've got a bit of a squeak when I turn the wheel. I've had new inners/outers for a few months now, and figured now would be a good time to put them on...