Insights/advice -- squeezing in a 351W

tjames

Jul 5, 2003
Friends,

I am planning a stroker engine swap based on a 351W block. Part of my build up will include an EFI set-up. My question is this; is there combination of intake manifold and aftermarket engine mounts that will allow me to keep my stock hood? My hood has ghost flames that are perfectly matched to the fenders, I would really hate to go with a 1.5-inch cowl hood to squeeze in the new power plant.

I sincerely appreciate your insights and advice.

Trent James
San Diego, CA

• Sponsors (?)

DemonGT said:
i highly dought it...unless you get drop mounts and mabe if you fork out the cash for one of those vortech mondo box upper intakes or the new TFS box intake....

and...

65ShelbyClone said:
You can get drop mounts to put the engine lower, but your options are limited. Depending on where the intake hits, you could possibly cut out the supports, but who knows what your hood will do as far as flexing.

Thanks for the timely responses.

I am considering using HP Motorsport solid motor mounts because it is reported that those mounts will lower the 351W by 3/4 inch in the engine cradle. I am also planning to use the FRPP pan. Are the HPM mounts the "drop mounts" of which you referred?

Thanks much!

Trent James
San Diego, CA

It depends on many different things. The intake you will be running, the block you use (ie deck height, 9.200" or 9.500"), motor mounts, etc. I also think that if you use a aftermarket K-member that will have some bearing. Just to be safe I'd run at least a 1.5" cowl hood, when I do my 4 cyl to 351W stroker change I'm going to use a 2.5" cowl hood.

Mo' Town :flag: