Inspecting a mod motor fox body in Texas...

ModFox

Sep 22, 2009
Need some help understanding how to get my 92 Mustang that has been converted to a 2004 2v inspected in a Texas emissions county.

I bought this modular fox in Oklahoma a few months ago. It now lives in Texas. It's needed some work (suspension was shot as was the clutch) so I'm just now getting it road-ready.

Evidently, in Oklahoma, inspections are not required. Here in Tarrant county, Texas, they are. I took it in yesterday and the dude told me he could not inspect the car. ??? He said the inspection has to be performed in accordance with the year of the car, not the motor, and that this requires putting it on the rollers for a sniff test. Not a problem, really, except that his emissions equipment could not read the RPMs correctly as I suspect it was not expecting a distributor-less electronic ignition (2004 2v).

Anyone have any experience inspecting these cars in a Texas emissions county?

I have to get it inspected (and a certificate of inspection) in order to title and register the vehicle in Texas.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

My initial reaction is that the dude in the lane you went to, is an idiot. If he's not able to read the RPMs correectly because of the difference in ignition systems, then he should be able to use an ignition sensor capable of reading from a distributorless. Once that part is done (I know... requires a small grain of thought), then all he has to do is compare your emissions output with what the levels are for, on a 92.

Seems to me that the dude is lemming. See if there's anyone nearby with half a brain? :shrug: