Installation of Maier fender flares

outlaw66

Apr 1, 2005
Flowood, Ms
I just purchased some of those high priced Maier fender flares (1.5 in.). They appear to fit the body well, but for that kind of money, one would think I would have received some basic install instructions. I have some ideas about the install but would prefer to hear from someone who has actually installed a pair. Are they riveted initially then filled and sanded? Are they glued in place?Do you cut away the original fender lip? The inner fender panel is attached to the existing lip, seems that would separate the two. I bought for the rear only. Anybody out there got some stories to tell on the install.

Thanks,

Outlaw

• Sponsors (?)

outlaw66 said:
I just purchased some of those high priced Maier fender flares (1.5 in.). They appear to fit the body well, but for that kind of money, one would think I would have received some basic install instructions. I have some ideas about the install but would prefer to hear from someone who has actually installed a pair. Are they riveted initially then filled and sanded? Are they glued in place?Do you cut away the original fender lip? The inner fender panel is attached to the existing lip, seems that would separate the two. I bought for the rear only. Anybody out there got some stories to tell on the install.

Thanks,

Outlaw

i did mine they recomend some type of special glue stuff i used fiber glass i cut out the frnder lip with an air nibbler and a cut off wheel then i stripped the rear quarter of paint about six inches beyond from the flare and under neath i got it where i wanted it i drilled some hole thru the part and the quarter(i counter sunk the hole and used a tapered sheetmetal screw)removed the part applied fiberglass mat reinstalled the flare let dry i then feathered it out put mat on top of it smoothed it down then used fiberglass reinforced body filler(tigerhair) to finish it is very labor intensive and itch lol
go to my garage and look at the pic of the completed flare!

outlaw66 said:

Thanks,

Outlaw

Hi, I am not sure what the "(1.5in)" flare is but... set the flare where it needs to be and drill holes for mounting screws or rivets, I like to space the drill holes anywhere from 4-6-8 inches depending on the part. You then want to grind both the backside of the flare and the body with about a 40 grit disk before bonding them on with kitty hair or simular. I always use extra large headed rivets to hold on flares and leave them in place when glassing and filling over. when I do this I also grind a small/shallow dent over the drill hole for the rivet head to sit in. When leaving rivets in, make sure you take time to put filler or body sealant in to the heads of the rivets.

my machI has the Maier flares and other parts.
703264_3_full.jpg

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/703264

hi guys, it's a 351C boss (got a new stroker crank to take it up to 393ci), if you guys think it looks modified now, I got new plans for it lol. The rear 15x10 wheels are to small for me now so I want to tubb it for 15x14 wheels and use the 15x10 wheels on the front, got more shelby body mods I want to do too.

You can see more pics here.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kazzoom

Rmodel65...thanks for the insight. I went to your garage and your flares appear to be exactly what i have. I believe you when you say it's a b*tch. Your's turned out great. What did you do about where the wheel well sheetmetal attaches to the fender lip? Seems to me when you cut out the fender lip, the inner wheel well sheetmetal would no longer be attached to anything. Have i got the visual wrong here? Regardless, your install looks great. Thanks for the feedback.
393Boss....Man..now those are some flares. When I purchased mine I was told that i could get the 1.5 in flare or the racing flares, which would accomodate a 12 inch wide tire. I didn't want that big a tire but it looks wicked on your Mach 1. Your information about using 40 grit to clean the fender prior to the final install is also helpful. I would not have considered using paper that course. Your flares look great and on a black car there is no room for error. I think I will use countersunk rivets as well. When you cut your fender lip, did that separate the fender from the inner wheel well sheetmetal, and if so what did you do about it?
What did both of you guys do about the "cut" edge of the fender after the the existing fender lip was removed?
Does it end up being bonded to the new flare? What about the inner fender panel?
Thanks so much for the help with this!

Outlaw66

yeah my inner and outer were seperated i poured fiber glass also in the lip from inside the trunk i also counter the screws on mine i then under coated the insice trunk and the outside.did ur come with the strip of fiberglass for the inside lip?mine didnt maier was out of stock so that y i did my lip like that!

Rmodel65..........I did not get any inside fiberglass strips. When I ordered they didn't mention anything about any strips. I just knew there would be a "gap" where the fender lip is cut. Was that another item to purchase or should it have been included with the "flares" I purchased. As outrageously expensive as the flares are, I would think they would provide some instructions or general guidance on installation AND the inside glass covers. What size tires are you expecting to run on the Fastback?

outlaw

How I open up the wheel well for glass is to cut open the out side of the quarter as needed, then take the inside wheel well and make cuts up it every 3-4 inches. Then I hammer, fold the flaps higher up and rebend them over the outside quarter triming them as needed. From there I either weld or rivet the inner flaps to the opened up quarter and then either glass in the gaps or weld in the gaps with metal strips. Once the flares are bonded on I add- run a bit more kitty hair on the inside (between the quarter and flare) by hand to smoothen it out and after spray in foam in remaining gap, flatten, then undercoat. The fiberglass strips that some flares come with could also be cut and used as a filler but to me they are more of a headace to use.

In years past dealing with glass supplyers I have never gotten any kind of instructions because how I understand it, these parts are ment to be installed by bodymen/shops, usualy the suppler will give the buyer tips on how they think a person could install them.

BTW... I love the madmax car lol and it inspired me to build my machI the way I did. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/703264/3

393 Boss said:
hi guys, it's a 351C boss (got a new stroker crank to take it up to 393ci), if you guys think it looks modified now, I got new plans for it lol. The rear 15x10 wheels are to small for me now so I want to tubb it for 15x14 wheels and use the 15x10 wheels on the front, got more shelby body mods I want to do too.
Keep us posted. It might be the angle of the photo but the rear looks a little too jacked up for my taste, maybe when you tub it you can drop it a little. But I like what you've done overall, very much old-school '70s thing and certainly not a cookie-cutter copycat car. Not the kind of look I have planned for my car but I appreciate your originality.

:flag:

393 Boss,
The article on flares is just what I needed. The article, along with the information you and Rmodel65 provided gives me the basic information I need to start the install. I'm almost thru with the construction of my new shop and can't wait to get started again on the 66. It's killing me to not be able to work on the Mustang. I'm at the painting stage on the shop, base moulding, crown moulding etc. I'd much rather be back on the coupe. Thanks for all your help.

Outlaw