Installed 1-chamber flowmaster's

Bill9000

Oct 15, 2004
Installed the one chamber flowmasters a few days ago, and am quite disappointed.

I was hoping for/expecting loud and powerful sounding.

It does sound healthy, and pretty deep. BUT... it's not loud, it's not a whole lot louder than the car was stock!

It's my belief that the herd of catalytic converters they put on these cars must be "muffling" the sound... why so many?????? (I can speculate - my car was originally a california car, that might have something to do with it?)

So, my question is this: If I put an O/R H-pipe on it, how much "louder" will it be? A little louder, or a lot louder?

(I'll try to post some videos soon so everyone can see what it sounds like)

• Sponsors (?)

O/R h-pipe will make it quite a bit lounder and deeper. I have a O/R h-pipe on my car with the stock mufflers and you can here it very good, but we do have turndowns. Put one on you will most likely love it.

before i put my x pipe on i had 2 chambers welded in on my 96 and i couldn't notice much difference at all over the stock mufflers..but i can tell you if you take off your cat-pipe and replace it with an off-road one...especially with the one chambers..it will be night and day. The one chambers might even be too loud for you. The 96-98 cat pipes are very very restrictive

Check out the video of my car in my sig and you will see what the differences is when adding an O/R H-pipe. First part of the clip is with just the Flowmaster American Thunder Catback and the second part is with the addition of the O/R H-pipe. O/R H-pipe makes a huge difference in sound and I felt much better peformance gains.

Bill9000 said:
It's my belief that the herd of catalytic converters they put on these cars must be "muffling" the sound... why so many?????? (I can speculate - my car was originally a california car, that might have something to do with it?)
The tree huggers require at least 1 cat per cylinder, so you have at least 8...JK! :D :rlaugh: :lol:
A free flowing aftermarket midpipe (catted or non catted) will dramatically increase the exhaust volume level - if you want loud, chg out the midpipe.

Sick96Stang said:
Check out the video of my car in my sig and you will see what the differences is when adding an O/R H-pipe. First part of the clip is with just the Flowmaster American Thunder Catback and the second part is with the addition of the O/R H-pipe. O/R H-pipe makes a huge difference in sound and I felt much better peformance gains.

Angelfire does not allow direct linking
from offsite, non-Angelfire pages,
to files hosted on Angelfire.

This practice of 'remote linking' reduces
our ability to serve out the homepages
of our members quickly and efficiently.

:shrug:

Pitch Black said:
Mufflers MAINLY affect the tone of an exhaust....mostly. The mid-pipe is where the decibal power lies. I will be EXTREMELY loud with an O/R pipe

you mean extremely loud having both, the one chambers and the O/R pipe...?

so, define EXTREMELY loud? like it'll actually sound good at idle and it will sound mean, or like it'll wake up the entire city block?

I definitely want it louder than it is... just can't upset the wife TOO much... but she thinks it's good now, but I can't even hear it going down the road with the window up, except for a bit around 2100rpm I can hear it a little bit... I am after a deep, loud muscle car sound, and right now, I've heard pickups sound much better.... so I think the O/R pipe might do the trick.

thanks for the input it helps...

The 96-98 cat pipes are very very restrictive
that makes a lot of sense as to why it's still not very loud!

You should of got two chamber Flow's
than! I love the sound of my Flow's!
how do you figure? I shoulda got 2-chambers??? that would be even quieter than what I got! (although they still have a nice tone) I was hoping for louder, and the 1-chambers arent even very loud?????

Bill9000 said:
you mean extremely loud having both, the one chambers and the O/R pipe...?

so, define EXTREMELY loud? like it'll actually sound good at idle and it will sound mean, or like it'll wake up the entire city block?

I definitely want it louder than it is... just can't upset the wife TOO much... but she thinks it's good now, but I can't even hear it going down the road with the window up, except for a bit around 2100rpm I can hear it a little bit... I am after a deep, loud muscle car sound, and right now, I've heard pickups sound much better.... so I think the O/R pipe might do the trick.

thanks for the input it helps...

that makes a lot of sense as to why it's still not very loud!

how do you figure? I shoulda got 2-chambers??? that would be even quieter than what I got! (although they still have a nice tone) I was hoping for louder, and the 1-chambers arent even very loud?????

I don't really know why it isn't already loud with the 1-chambers. It should be. But the car will be, to some, obnoxiously loud with an O/R midpipe. Go over to www.mustangexhaust.com and listen to the 02 GT Flowmaster 1-chamber sound clip and compare it to your current setup. The car in the clip has JUST 1-chamber Flows welded in and the car is pretty darn loud IMO.

I had 2 chamber flows w/ stock pipe and it was very quiet. As said, the midpipe is definately taking the volume out of the system. I then got an o/r x pipe and it was SO SO much louder (as would be expected). Now I run Spintechs, and I love the sound!!!

So, 2 chamber flows w/ an o/r midpipe is pretty damn loud!! I'll bet with 1 chamber, it would be border-line nascar. I really doubt your wife would like it one bit.

I think what Darkhorse was saying is that if you were going to have to get an o/r midpipe, then you probably should have gone with 2 chamber flows b/c it will be so damn loud. IMO, at this point you'll have to decide between tooquiet or too loud.

95CobraStang said:
Ahhh who gives a $hit??!!!!! I have been running off road pipes in my cars since '99. Just swap it when needed!! It is very much worth it!

What happens if you get caught inbetween sniffer tests w/o cats? What's the fine?

ACSPONY said:
What happens if you get caught inbetween sniffer tests w/o cats? What's the fine?

It depends on who catches you. I have heard legends of road side emissions testing, kind of like those DUI stations the cops set up on certain holidays, and if you get nailed by one of those (very unlikely) the fine is something like 2500 dollars per missing cat (so you would be looking at 10,000-15,000 thousand dollars and possible jail time since it is a federal offense to remove your emissions devices) I am not sure what the fine is if a cop pulls you over. I know where I lived in NY they could impound the vehicle if they wanted to.