Installed 1-chamber flowmaster's

Jesus said:
It depends on who catches you. I have heard legends of road side emissions testing, kind of like those DUI stations the cops set up on certain holidays, and if you get nailed by one of those (very unlikely) the fine is something like 2500 dollars per missing cat (so you would be looking at 10,000-15,000 thousand dollars and possible jail time since it is a federal offense to remove your emissions devices) I am not sure what the fine is if a cop pulls you over. I know where I lived in NY they could impound the vehicle if they wanted to.

The only thing keeping me from putting on an O/R H or X...will put in an aftermarket catted H or X though...at least I'll have something to stand on if I get caught you know?...much easier to tell the officer that the original mid pipe got damaged if you replced it with an aftermarket one with cats.

Funny how I judge possible jail time, impound or heavy fines as the "only thing" keeping me from putting on an aftermarket pipe. :rolleyes:

• Sponsors (?)

boomshack said:
Funny how I judge possible jail time, impound or heavy fines as the "only thing" keeping me from putting on an aftermarket pipe. :rolleyes:

lol. I've thought about welding heat sheilds over it to disguise it too. The onlyprob is that if you still get caught, you are definately fcuked!! They will know that you knew it to be illegal, tried to hide it, etc.

I would think though that jail time would more-than-likely not happen.

95CobraStang said:
lol. I've thought about welding heat sheilds over it to disguise it too. The onlyprob is that if you still get caught, you are definately fcuked!! They will know that you knew it to be illegal, tried to hide it, etc.

I would think though that jail time would more-than-likely not happen.

That's exactly what I was thinking...welding heat shields will just tell them that you are a lyin mofo...so might as well get an O/R and leave it alone or an aftermarket catted one...either one allows you to play dumb to a certain extent.

Sick96Stang said:
Check out the video of my car in my sig and you will see what the differences is when adding an O/R H-pipe. First part of the clip is with just the Flowmaster American Thunder Catback and the second part is with the addition of the O/R H-pipe. O/R H-pipe makes a huge difference in sound and I felt much better peformance gains.

Did you bouce that thing off the rev limiter a couple times?

Pitch Black said:
I don't really know why it isn't already loud with the 1-chambers. It should be. But the car will be, to some, obnoxiously loud with an O/R midpipe. Go over to www.mustangexhaust.com and listen to the 02 GT Flowmaster 1-chamber sound clip and compare it to your current setup. The car in the clip has JUST 1-chamber Flows welded in and the car is pretty darn loud IMO.

where on that site is the 1-chamber sound clip?

Well not sure also why your car isn't that loud, I have 2 chamber flows, original 40, and the car is significantly louder, it wasn't that much louder at first but a couple of months after it was, maybe its just that the mufflers are broken in now.

I had the 1-chambers with my o/r H-pipe and lets just say I changed them out for my MAC Flowpaths 8 hrs later. It was loud and sounded very untuned. Kinda of like just running straight pipes out the back. They do not have the signature mustang sound. I like loud, but I like it to sound good. This is just my opinion. You might like it.

_StangGT__ said:
Well not sure also why your car isn't that loud, I have 2 chamber flows, original 40, and the car is significantly louder, it wasn't that much louder at first but a couple of months after it was, maybe its just that the mufflers are broken in now.
That makes some sense, it could break in, I've only got about 150 miles on these mufflers right now, just driving around town. I'm trying to get the time to make a video.

Perhaps after they have 500 miles or so, they might be louder?

kboy262 said:
Flowmaster are a chambered muffler. There is nothing in it for it to "break-in" unlike Borla, Magnaflow, and Dynomax.

I'm intrested how you came to this conclusion, I'm not saying you are wrong just wondering how that is. I would think it would be the exact opposite, since Borla and such are straight through I would think there would be nothing to break in there, but with chambered mufflers, there are bends inside the muffler so I would think that if any mufflers needed a break in time it would be chambered mufflers.

I've wondered about this break-in period too. I was just thinking about it, and my MAC cat back definitely seemed louder about a month after I had it on (probably sooner - I do a lot of driving). The flowpaths are definitely chambered, so I'm not sure. My Magnaflows on the other hand seemed like they never got any louder at all.

So I wonder too. :)

The only thing I can think of would be the fiberglass packing that is around the perforated straight-through. Could that be what you are saying has to break in? In a chambered muffler the chambers are all metal, correct? So I can see how that possibly would not "break in" because they don't move. I would think that the exhaust ends up making it all black inside, sort of like the inside of the tailpipes though. Maybe not? I don't know. :shrug:

kboy262 said:
Flowmaster are a chambered muffler. There is nothing in it for it to "break-in" unlike Borla, Magnaflow, and Dynomax.

Well thats what I tought also, that it couldn't get any louder with time, but anyways it got, and well I know I dont have any holes in my exhaust system, its kinda weird, and they are quit louder, but I got the 2.5in mufflers with about 1.5 feets of 2.5in piping, I got the original 40 also, love the sound.

I've been running my 1 Chamber flows for about 2500 miles already with a welded on x-pipe. I notice when I start the car from a cold position it's louder & deeper, but after a couple of seconds of idling the tone gets muffled up. Why is that??? I'm also debating if I should get a whole midpipe section installed, but I can't decide on which one to get. Please help!!!

UDTBadkarma said:
Forget jailtime man, knowing that they can impound my car and/or fine me up to $15,000....would be enough for me to keep it street legal. No need to risk that stuff...

Dont drive like an ******* and you wont have to worry about that. Not to mention at least down here most cops dont even know how to check for that or just dont bother. I was scared of getting an O/R pipe at first also but just take your foot off the gas when u go by them and dont drive like an ******* and you have nothing to worry about.

As far as it sounding nice when it starts up after being cold for awhile thats how my car is also. Not sure what u mean by it sounding muffled but it is a chambered muffler so its gonna sound a little baffled. I would go with the Dr. Gas X-pipe if you are going to get a new X-pipe, the Bassani is also nice.