Installed BD11 powerdyne, runs like trash... help!

1993SSP

Founding Member
Sep 5, 2001
Ky
It's installed exactly per instructions. Im running my stock gap plugs, fuel pressure at 38 warm idle, sometimes it runs decent then other times it runs like crap! Any ideas what would make it run ok then change to running like garbage?

• Sponsors (?)

could be vaccum line knocked off, and there is a little cylinder type thing, cant remember what its called, that is attached to the arm of the intake, (maybe the throttle body, havent looked in a long time) Take that cylinder off (two bolts i think, easy) and unplug it (it has a plug in it) and clean it out w/ carb cleaner, and also maybe your throttle body plate may be dirty and sticking from whatever - but my IAC i think it is, Idle Air Control, when I messed w/ throttle body or the induction, it ended up being clogged and i had to carb clean it, and it ran fine after that.... start there, and listen to these gurus here cuz they'll have your problem solved in no time if I havent....
Paul Perreca

Paul Perreca said:
could be vaccum line knocked off, and there is a little cylinder type thing, cant remember what its called, that is attached to the arm of the intake, (maybe the throttle body, havent looked in a long time) Take that cylinder off (two bolts i think, easy) and unplug it (it has a plug in it) and clean it out w/ carb cleaner, and also maybe your throttle body plate may be dirty and sticking from whatever - but my IAC i think it is, Idle Air Control, when I messed w/ throttle body or the induction, it ended up being clogged and i had to carb clean it, and it ran fine after that.... start there, and listen to these gurus here cuz they'll have your problem solved in no time if I havent....
Paul Perreca
WHAT??!?!?!?

Im going to double check all my vacuum line, but the car starts and idles fine, when sitting parked the enging rev's great, but when i take off and got from 1st to 2nd it will sputter and backfire thru the exhaust, then it will smooth out but it gets some kinda hesitation around 5200 rpm (stock tach)

ok guys, I double checked it all. Could this problem be caused by a faulty mass air meter? I have a pro-m, I had a small engine missing problem before only when it was cold, But now it seems the problem has gotten 10 times worse, could it be the faster air being drawn thru the meter causing me the problems?

I dont know, The car has 24lb injectors from a 99 cobra in it, Im thinking maybe my harness has a short in it where the newer model connectors were put in, Im gonna get a new harness off ebay and install the 24lb injectors i have that will plug into that and not have any splices at all. Maybe thats all that it is, it could have some injectors shutting down during driving which would explain why it's fine at idle

i dont think its vacume because if it was the problem would go away at higher rpms. sounds like fule or spark. idk what ur timing should be at but maby thats off.... is hte mass air for 24lb injectors, if not theres ur problem. are any of the wires crossed?its probly somethin stupid like that.

i'll try gapping the plugs, im gonna pick up some new ones, I bought the MAF used, says 24lb on it, It's got to be a wiring problem or the air/fuel mixture is outta wack, thats what got me to thinking about the MAF ,what should I have my pressure set at with this charger? 38 lbs ok?