installed stage 1 cam, now car is f'd!!

D347643

Banned
Jan 28, 2003
portland, OR
i installed my stage one cam and now the car wont really start. Itll start for a little while and then die then it wont start for like 30 min. Also my adj fuel press reg is saying it isnt holding fule pressure when you turn it off. Im getting spark and i tried advancing my timing and as soon as i plugged the spout back in it died. Do you need a dif computer for the stage 1 cam? i didnt get the a9l, i have the one they sell thats equivalent to it and it worked fine before this cam. anyone have any ideas?

thanks,

Drew

• Sponsors (?)

Your stock A9L with do the trick. It's ok that your pump dosn't hold pressure when the power is off. As soon as you power it up it primes. Sounds like you installed the cam a little off. Maybe a tooth or something. How does it sound when it runs? Does it roll over very hard? Does it stumble when idleing? Will it rev-up?

i got it running and now im tuning it, (timing, fuel pressure, idle) i found out that since my car is running so cold ( 178 degrees f) the comp is in safe mode like 99 percent of the time. the probe for my elec fan is too far up where the hot coolant comes in, im gonna move it down to where the coolant leaves so the fan will come on when the engine is hotter so i can get it out of safe mode and on the road.

D347643 said:
yeah i have mass air, i dont have the a9l but i have the one equivalent to it from another 5 liter engine.

just out of curiosity, what car did it come from if its from a 5.0, but not a a9l computer? is it a a9p computer? they are for autos, should have anything to do with the problem your having though if its just a slight mixup in computers.

StreetStang37 said:
maybe its a computer for a non-HO firing order motor

I was kind of thinking along the same lines when I first started reading.

Did you install the plugs to the HO firing order? The car will run, but shake violently if you install the plug wires on the non-HO firing order or if you just have 2 on the wrong plugs.