Installing a 1968 " S " code into Mustang

EDzierzek

Apr 23, 2004
I know there is someone out there who can tell me all of the specifics that I will have to do to install this big block into my Mustang. I currently have a 302- V8 with a C4 transmission. Any help will be appreciated as far as specifics that I will need to change over ( e.g. - new radiator, will ac off of 302 fit onto 390 ? , need C6 transmission ??? ..... list goes on. Or is there a book out there or a website to tell me ALL the specifics ?? Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thank You. :flag: :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

you will need the 390 engine mounts. i am not sure if you need to change the chassis mounts or not. you will need a transmission that bolts to the 390 as the FE bellhousing pattern is different than other ford engines. you will need the change the output yoke to the C6 yoke, and probably should change the rest of the driveshaft as well, along with upgrading to a 9" rear end. a larger radiator is highly advised. stiffer front springs would also be a good idea, but the stock V8 springs are fine as long as you dont plan on going around corners too fast.

s-code said:
Even better question, what year Mustang are you planning on putting it in?

i just assumed he was putting it into a 68 stang :bang: :bang: . if you are planning on putting that engine into a 65-66 stang, forget it it wont fit unless you remove the shock towers.

lman, the 390 can make some serious power, especially with some of the parts availaboe these days. just because an engine design is outdated, doesnt mean it is a boat anchor. that might be true with stuff like the 272 Y block, the the FE powerplants are still good to use.

oh, Im well aware of the FE's potential...I have sev friends with potent 390s. And part of my FE 'jabs' are intended to be humorous....but:

It makes no sense to start from scratch with a FE UNLESS the car was a S-code to begin with (collector value). The Windsor is lighter, cheaper, and parts are infinitely more available...its not even close. A built 302 will dust a stock 390GT motor from 1967 allllll day long, be lighter, much cheaper, and get better milage to boot. And that doesnt even *consider* the Windsor-based stroker options available today.... :banana:

I think kids read that the largest engine choice IN 1967-68 was a FE, so they (somehow) automatically think thats the top engine choice today....fooled by that magic phrase, "big block" Nuh uh. :nono:

Installing a 68 s code into a 1968 Fastback

The car is a 1968 GT500 KR fastback clone. I bought it 7 years ago when the prices were really low. It has ALL the shelby stuff on it but it only has a 302 in it. I can now afford to make it what I WANT. Thanks, ED