Installing gears is more expensive than I thought.

88 Fox GT

Nov 18, 2002
Iowa
I bought a brand new set of Richmond 3.73s and installation kit (shims, bolts, gasket, crush collar, pinion nut, etc.) from a guy for $150.

I want to install them myself to save a couple hundred bucks and am finding out it's not going to be so cheap.

Bearing kit (differential, pinion, & axle bearings w/ seals): $110 (50resto.com)
Traction-lok rebuild (w/ friction modifier): $45 (eBay)

Tools:
Bearing separator: $25 (eBay)
Dial Indicator w/ magnetic base: $25 (Summit)
Dial Caliper: $10 (eBay)

Total: $365 w/o shipping.

So, I'm looking at over $400 after shipping costs. This doesn't seem very cheap to me. Where can I find some of the tools that I need for cheaper? I'm going to ask some people I know if they have any that I can borrow, but if not I'm going to buy these and probably use them once.

And where can I find a kit that has JUST bearings? The one from 5.0 resto has shims, crush collar, and pinion nut that I already have. Maybe I could save some money that way. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

what i did was go get a lot of the tools from a garage, i gave them a deposit of 50 bucks for all the tools and they let me borrow them for 2 weeks. I mean how often do they use a dial indictaor?

I got mine from harbor freight. Might wanna try there. I did my 3:73's (used) and got it perfect. It was my first time too. I took like 6-7 hrs to do it though. I double checked everything. Just take your time and you will be good to go.

old_blue said:
I got mine from harbor freight. Might wanna try there. I did my 3:73's (used) and got it perfect. It was my first time too. I took like 6-7 hrs to do it though. I double checked everything. Just take your time and you will be good to go.
Quick question. Did you take your rear end out to do it?

nope. I had the use of a lift which helped out a lot. I wouldn't take the rear out unless absolutely necessary. I have taken them out and realigning the control arms is a pitb. I have even used ratcheting straps before (helps out a lot) but still easy to put it on a lift. If you don't have a lift and an air impacted gun then I wouldn't do it. The use of either one of those is a life saver. especially the air impact gun.

For some reason, I am really leery of changing my gears out. I've had no problem tackling anything else, but I know there's a lot more too it than slapping a new set of gears in.
If you are confident enough to do it yourself, more power to ya. I haven't found that same confidence yet!

old_blue said:
nope. I had the use of a lift which helped out a lot. I wouldn't take the rear out unless absolutely necessary. I have taken them out and realigning the control arms is a pitb. I have even used ratcheting straps before (helps out a lot) but still easy to put it on a lift. If you don't have a lift and an air impacted gun then I wouldn't do it. The use of either one of those is a life saver. especially the air impact gun.
Well I have a lift and an air impact gun. :D

I got mine installed for 250 for just labor. Ended up costing like 700 to replace all rear brakes but thats besides the point. I was happy to pay though to have it installed knowing it was done with precise measuring, by mustang guys who have done it hundreds of times. Not doubting your skills though, more power to ya if you can do it, i would never be able to.

mob said:
I got mine installed for 250 for just labor. Ended up costing like 700 to replace all rear brakes but thats besides the point. I was happy to pay though to have it installed knowing it was done with precise measuring, by mustang guys who have done it hundreds of times. Not doubting your skills though, more power to ya if you can do it, i would never be able to.
I always like tearing into projects like this. I can usually tear into something that I've never done before and get it put back together with no problems. After a little studying and watching Richmonds installation video, it appears as if installing gears is not difficult at all. I only need two tools to do measuring with to check backlash and pinion depth. Other than that, it's just check and recheck everything.