Installing Lifters (First time, need help)

Busted07

I need my gorilla to be about an inch longer.
Nov 15, 2005
Well, my lifters should be here hopefully when i get home from work today. I have the shortblock together as well as the heads, and im kind of looking for a proceedure to assemble the top end. It is a carb'd motor, so i dont have to worry about fuel rails or any oft hat mess, but i know that i have to install the lifters, dogbones and spyder.

what i need to know -

Is there a certain way to put the lifters in so they dont turn???
does anyone know the size and length of the 2 bolts that hold the lifter spyder in?

once i have that done, i need to put the pushrods in, and then the scorpion rockers (on track heat heads) and is there anything i need to know before i do this, or any kind of a guide i can follow for installing and adjusting the rockers?

thanks in advance for any help!

• Sponsors (?)

it doesn't matter how you intstall the lifters they can only go 2 ways since the roller on the bottom has to roll on the cam lobe....the dogbones is what holds them down and keeps them from turning...the spyder holds the dogbones down and keeps them from popping off. I don't know the exact size of the bolts that hold the spyder down but they are small...and you have to get the rights ones because they go down into the cam bearing area. And if you have too long of a bolt it will really mess things up! As far as pushrods go....drop them em in! Now your rockers should come with instructions on how to properly set them up! Make sure you follow that exactly! Hope that helps.

It's a good idea to soak the lifters in a bucket of oil (clean oil) for 30 minutes prior to dropping them in.

You might need a pushrod lenght checker to get the right length pushrods for your application. But once you verify the size, you just slide them in the holes (once the heads are installed)

ok, i forgot to mention... I got the info about oiling the lifters the other day... as far as the pushrods, i ordered them from trickflow to match the TFS heads, TFS pistons and eagle rods / crank etc... i got the 6.700 ones i believe. i just cannot find those spyder bolts for the life of me, and i didnt want to have to order them if someone knew the size.

but thanks for all the information so far! keep it coming

i also soaked mine in oil for some time too....theres always a dispute whether the hole in the lifters should be facing towards inner the lifter galley or outside....So you dont get confused, ive seen both ways with no problem...i always have them face towards the liftergalley, ive seen half facing in, half facing out etc.... Make sure you look through every single pushrod...hold it up to a light and u should see the inside and a perfect round hole at the end on both sides....when i built my motor, i had put the pushrods in and about to adjust the rockers, then i thought to make sure they werent blocked at all so i took them out and looked in every one and the one had a little metal particle in it and took like 20 minutes to get out cuz it was bigger than the hole on the ends. im glad i did or else i would have some excess wear in that rocker and valve...they were comp cams pushrods BTW.....and just take ur time adjusting ur rockers

Thanks for all the help, i really appreciate it.. im hoping that my lifters are there when i get home today so i can have a nice jump on completing my motor this weekend