Installing mech water temp gauge

ch47600

Founding Member
Sep 19, 2001
San Antonio, TX
I've searched everywhere and can't find an answer. I'm installing an Auto Meter mechanical water temperature gauge and the instructions say to drill a hole in the firewall. Where have you guys drilled your hole? I just want to make sure that I don't hit anything vital. Any tips in ensuring that I don't screw this up?

• Sponsors (?)

Anywhere is good as long as it doesn't interfere with any moving parts around it, you don't drill through wiring harnesses, and you use a rubber grommet of some sort to protect the wire.. especially if you're talking about a hole for the hose.

Just check both sides before you drill.. easy stuff. :)

Just to the passenger side and slightly below where the accelerator cable comes through the firewall there is a small indention in the firewall about a
1/2" in diameter. I popped a hole there and used a grommet. I also fed my oil line through there for my mechanical oil pressure gauge as well.

If you do go through the firewall itself (drill your own hole), I'd sheath the capillary tube with vacuum hose and/or use a firewall grommet as mentioned (you might need a big hole, so I'm not sure if you'll find a grommet that big) so the cap. tube doesnt chatter.

Good luck.