installing my fan relay.

goldbomb79

Jun 4, 2003
Indiana
ok I know i'm gonna here the good ole bs about using the search button because this has probably been talked about a million times yadda yadda yadda. I did do a search but i didn't see anything that could help me.

ok here it goes i've got a fan off of an sn95 and i've also got a a temp control unit just about like a black magic one. i've been told i need to run a relay on the 12+ accesory wire, so i went to the auto store and got one. it's got 5 connections on it. the guy at the store said that one is to be run from the battery, and two of them are positive outputs ( which I would run one to the fan positive accesory) and then the other 2 connections are to be grounded. is this correct? and another question I have is the coil positive wire ok to use for a accesory connection? if not what are some other good connections points? my car no longer has smog or a/c on it could i use one of those connections in my fuse box?

• Sponsors (?)

how many amps is the relay rated for?
My 80 amp relay only has 4 connections on it. Im not sure what your 5th one is for. I have two large posts and two smaller posts.
One of the larger posts has 12v, from the solenoid. On the other one, theres a wire going over to the fan. Then youve got the 2 smaller ones, which is a switched 12v source and ground.

2 are for ground (87, and 86), 2nd is for power from battery (30), 3rd is for a + switch (85)

If you have a 5th it should be 87a which is constant (non-switched) power from the battery.

Also if you got an automotive relay, chances are it is a 30/40amp relay.

As far a a key-on power source, if oyu have a GT, then one of the 2 wires on the coolant overflow tank cap has a key-on power, use a test light to find which wire it is, as i odn't know off hand. I have mine wired into this. I would not recomend tapping into the coil.

Hope that helps.

so, since I have the 5 prong relay and i'm going to use the overflow cap positive for my accesory + i should hook up what wires to the relay? one from the battery for the constant. ground the two ground prongs, and the other two prongs would be? sorry, i'm not a wiring genious. lol also should I put a 30 amp inline fuse somewhere. the relay is a 30 amp relay also.

im lost here. i may not understand what you are doing, but if you are using a SPDT relay and using a positive trigger, there is only one ground, the trigger, the battery feed, and output to fan. one of the terminal 87's (blazer relay for lights) or 87A (bosch type SPDT relay) are not used. i say that im not sure what is goin on, since black fox has said differently, and that is a configuration that i dont see working (if using a SPDT relay, and connecting 30 to battery, and 87 to ground, that is called a short). so i say i may not understand what you are doing (Timmy and i are on the same page, i believe).

there are several ways to configure a SPDT relay. an example that will work is:
85: ground
86: positive trigger (i.e., from coolant bottle)
30:fused juice from battery (do use a fuse!!!!!)
87: the output to the fan.
as said, 87/87A are not used.

this is my take on it. good luck.

if its convenient, use the starter solenoid hot side (one with all the wires on it) or the battery pos post for supplying terminal 30, as described in above post.

ok, what I was wanting to do is put a relay in between the control box and my power source and I have a 5 prong relay like yuo stated for lights or fog lights, and I was just wondering how i needed to wire it up. is it supposed to be wired up on the 12 volt constant to the temp control box or the 12 volt accesory wire going to the box, and how I am supposed to wire the relay box is what i was asking.

ok, sorry about that. im not gonna guess since im not lookin at it (ive always pieced mine together). maybe that is Blk fox is talking about with two grounds. one from the fan switch to 85 and one from 30 for switching ground to the relay. i dunno.

hope i didnt offend or step on anyone's feet. there are so many ways to wire these up (using the fan switch's (-) and runnin a ground output, converting the (-) to pos via a relay and running that, etc).
like i said, i piece them together, so i just wing it. what do the instructions say?

haha, instructions. if i had em i'd use em. lol i bought this fan and control box from a friend who had it wired directly with no relay, but i didn't wanna do it that way. you didn't offend me any suggestions would be nice.