Installing new timing cover.. Use RTV or not?

pwcracer

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2000
Hastings, MN, USA
I searched and found people using just the gaskets, and people using just RTV. Now I am unsure what I should use. I have the new Fel-Pro gaskets sitting on the shelf ready to go if need be.

I was thinking of at least using rtv in the corner of where the block and oil pan meet, since part of the old oil pan gasket had to be cut away.

• Sponsors (?)

Always try to use RTV in those corners where it might leak first. you could use just the gasket but make sure the mating surfaces are really clean and that you torque everything to specs. And you could use just RTV, but be carefull not to use too much. And the third option (one i like personally) put a thin layer of rtv on your gasket to ensure a perfect seal.:D

Yes put a dab of rtv in the corners :nice:

I usually put a very small dot on just a few places to do nothing
but hold the gasket in place while I'm putting things together.

I go with the thinking ... gaskets do the sealing ... not sealer ;)

btw ...I have seen at times ... the incorrect use of gasket sealer
does more harm than good and it can make a big mess :(

Grady

Good advice above.

RTV in the corners and a razor thin layer on the gasket surfaces to make it stick.

Use brake cleaner on a rag to make your metal surfaces super clean.

If there's one thing I've learned working with cars it is that a little goes a long way when dealing with RTV. Put too much and it will leak.

Wes

I was thinking of at least using rtv in the corner of where the block and oil pan meet, since part of the old oil pan gasket had to be cut away.

Had to do this on sage2k's car during the Trickflow install. Those corner pieces will most definitely slide if you put too much RTV on 'em. There is also "yellow" RTV which is high tack that will literally glue them down. We were able to just put a thin coat of RTV on the corner gaskets, a dab on each end, let it get tacky then put it all together.

Wes