installing oil and water temp guage...need to know where headlight wire is located?

• Sponsors (?)

Welp, that question is a bit misleading. Do you really want the gauges only to be lit with the headlights, or to come on with the parking lights?

I think the brown wire Justin is quoting is for the parking lights. The dimmer wire might be a slightly different one..?? I just can't remember. I didn't look at colors much but just used my test light to decide which wire to use.

Post up exactly which source you want (headlights, parking lights [non-dimmed] or interior lights [dimmed]) and Justin can wave ya around 3rd and get you across the plate. :nice:

Good luck.

96darkhorse said:
i asked for headlights
Sorry for asking for confirmation. Not many of us wire the gauge lighting up to the headlights.

Use your meter and check the Red/yel wire at the headlight switch. That should go to the headlights (I'll assume you want low beams).

Good luck.

96darkhorse said:
ok, i do...since that seems like teh most logical place...i only want the guages to light up at night
All of the lighting options we noted earlier (parking lights, headlights and instrument lights work 'at night'). That's why we presented the info that we did. You then reiterated that you wanted to know about the headlights and that info was provided.

Did you want to know which wire was for headlights or which is what we generally use for gauge lighting? I have the feeling you wanted the latter, but stressed the former for some unknown reason.

As Justin said, Brown is for the parking lights. This will mean your gauge lights up when the parking lights or headlights are on. Fused 13 is dimmed as I recall. You could tap into that fuse if you desired. Or do it at the headlight switch (someone would have to look at a schematic for that - I don't know it off the top of my head. Light blue/red?)
The only difference in the dimmed circuit and the parking light circuit is that the dimmed one is on a rheostat. They both come on at the same time. If you want to dim your gauge, use the dimmer circuit. If you dont care (I leave my gauges at full strength so I use the parking light wire often times), use the brown parking light wire.

Good luck.