Installing Timing Cover/water Pump

kendawg73

Feb 5, 2014
Ready to install my timing cover and water pump, I have all new ARP bolts.... ? is, I know Fel-pro says to install gaskets dry... but I see more reports of them leaking, plus last WP I did was years ago on a 5.0 explorer (dry) and it leaked, and I cleaned everything up good... so I redid it with some RTV and it was fine... traded it not long after...

plus I'm sure the timing cover has some pitting/small imperfections as well as the block... so my plan was to just do both sides of the gaskets with the thinnest covering of RTV (putting on with my finger and keep wiping/thinning it out...

I have Permatex ultra black, I know thats great for oil, but, what about Coolant (can't find anything on there site saying either way). since the timing cover has the 2 water jackets, ect... would ultra black be OK to use?

also, do any of the bolts go into open water jackets where I would need to used the ARP thread sealant on them?

thanks...
ken

• Sponsors (?)

I don't remember, I think there is a couple bolts that are exposed to the crank case too, I slather all of them with anti seize, long bolts get slathered the entire length, basically any steel bolt that is used to clamp aluminum to anything with water/coolant flowing gets anti seize, but thats me.

Reactions: 1 users
I would use a thin coat of Permatex #2. I love that stuff. I use it all the time for both oil and antifreeze gaskets. Works great. Plus it doesn't harden like RTV, so when you go to take the cover off, you don't need a hammer and a chisel lol

Reactions: 1 user
I don't remember, I think there is a couple bolts that are exposed to the crank case too, I slather all of them with anti seize, long bolts get slathered the entire length, basically any steel bolt that is used to clamp aluminum to anything with water/coolant flowing gets anti seize, but thats me.

Well for future reference, none of the bolt holes were open, so no sealant needed... but I did coat all the new ARP bolts with anti-seize...

Reactions: 1 user