Instructions for installing Hood Pins?

DJHA90

Dec 17, 2002
Texas
Anyone have a write-up on installing hood-pins on an aftermarket hood. Hood is not painted yet. Some of the things I wondering about?

1. What type of drill bit to drill the fiberglass -- does it need to be special?

2. Install Pins before painting or afterwards?

3. Where to position pins?

Pictures appreciated. I really dont want to screw this up.

Tom

• Sponsors (?)

That dude bought an ugly ass hood, and then spent all that time to install the pins into the plastic around the headlights. I don't think that is a good thread to read if you want to do hoodpins. The pins go into the core support.

Here's how I did it.
First off it is ok to do the pins before or after painting, it doesn't matter.
I removed the stock hood ajustment screws. Then I got a 1/4" piece of steal and drilled and tapped it for the hood pins. Then I welded that piece of steal onto the core support where the adjustment pins used to be. Then installed the pins. I put a little bit of RTV on top of the pins and put the hood down. The pins will mark where you need to drill on the hood. Then I drilled out the hood. Just start with a small metal drill bit and go up slowly. If you try and drill to fast the hood will splinter. Also, the hole doesn't have to be that accurate, because you can just make it bigger to get the pins through. The pin guards will cover up any imperfections in the drilling work. I then took just the rubber off of the old adjustment pins, and cut a hole through them, and slipped it down over the pin so that hood would rest on the rubber. I also used a lock bolt on the pin, so that it threads down to the proper height, and is then locked in place. With the pins in, close the hood and install the pin guards on the top. You just have to put them in place, and screw them down.

Kurt