Instrument cluster light "bleed thru"

KaptKane

Jun 19, 2018
SW FL
Newbie here! Just bought this 88 GT. Take a look at the pic of my instruments at night with the lights on. There appears to be a strange "bleed thru" of greenish light on the Tach side.
I'd like to swap a 140mph Speedo into it anyway. From what I read on here tho, it looks like only the 88/89 Speedos (and cluster) will work. The newer ones requires some modification?
I appreciate any and all help. If you have a cluster I could use, please let me know.
Also thinking of doing a LED dash lite conversion while I have it out. Thoughts?
Thanks,
Kane
IMG_2153(1).jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Never seen that before. Fixing that would be difficult. The black part is glued to the plastic that the light shines through. You could put a LED strip above the cluster ( shining down on it ) paint the needles with reflective paint and have a decent looking cluster. Just take out all the bulbs and wire the LED strip to the dash light wire.

Just follow the grid on the plastic printed circuit behind the cluster. From the bulbs to the connector. There will be a power wire at one end and a ground wire at the other.

Sorry, cant remember the colors.

Never seen that before. Fixing that would be difficult. The black part is glued to the plastic that the light shines through. You could put a LED strip above the cluster ( shining down on it ) paint the needles with reflective paint and have a decent looking cluster. Just take out all the bulbs and wire the LED strip to the dash light wire.

Just follow the grid on the plastic printed circuit behind the cluster. From the bulbs to the connector. There will be a power wire at one end and a ground wire at the other.

Sorry, cant remember the colors.

Thanks for your input on that.
I'm kinda leaning towards changing the complete cluster out if/when I find the right one. Somebody has to have one (That I can afford).
Novel idea tho...using a LED strip. Hadn't thought of that!
Kane

The gauges faces are glued to a plastic frame. As they age, the plastic delaminates and separates from the frame and you get what you see here.

Only mid 1989-late 89 mustangs got the compatible 140mph gusge cluster. 1990 changed physically and requires a rewire to use. You could also use an SSP cluster from an 87-89 police mustang or a Motorsport 160 gusge if you can find one for cheap.

You can match the miles too so I won't be off. It's actually quite easy to do so and if you have a low mileage car and might someday sell it, you might want to document matching the cluster

Reactions: 1 user
The gauges faces are glued to a plastic frame. As they age, the plastic delaminates and separates from the frame and you get what you see here.

Only mid 1989-late 89 mustangs got the compatible 140mph gusge cluster. 1990 changed physically and requires a rewire to use. You could also use an SSP cluster from an 87-89 police mustang or a Motorsport 160 gusge if you can find one for cheap.

You can match the miles too so I won't be off. It's actually quite easy to do so and if you have a low mileage car and might someday sell it, you might want to document matching the cluster

Thanks Mike. That's the kind of info I'm looking for. Now, I just have to find one of those later 89 Clusters or a 87/89 SSP cluster. Somebody out there has to have one, right?
I appreciate it.
How can I get a pic of my car in my "profile" (to replace that "K"?) I can't see how to do it.
Kane

So, I found a (supposed) 1988 complete Speedo Cluster (85mph). I put my LED bulbs in (although the 88 cluster doesn't label the wiring schematic like the later models are supposed to. So, I had to guess atvthe common ground circuit. Of course I guessed wrong and had to pull it and reverse all the dash lites!) (I tested all my life sockets with jumper wires before I installed. Figured out which side was the positive and negative. I marked my negative side with a paint pen so when installing I knew at a glance which side was which). Now i have it all put back together and working but my speedo seems to be running about 8mph slow?

Last edited: