Instrument voltage regulator started smoking?

mschmidt10k

Dec 10, 2003
So ... I've had my instrument panel (67 coupe) out for a little bit to clean it up, change some bulbs and replace those pesky blue plastic diffusers that were very cloudy. I also put in a brand new voltage regulator - just in case.

Well, today I re-assembled everything, and put it back into the car - connected the cables on the back (speedometer, viper, etc), but when I then put the negative cable back on the battery, smoke suddenly came pouring out from behind the panel.

I hastily unplugged everything, and pulled the instrument panel out to discover that the new voltage regulator had turned a sickly pale o' brown and the wire that connected to the "ign" post on the regulator had melted & was firmly stuck to the voltage regulator.

Anybody know what I did wrong? Or have a pict of the back of their instrument panel so I can see if connected something in the wrong way?

• Sponsors (?)

I had the same problem and went through 5 or 6 regulators. I had a small wire lose and it would short out and fry the regulator. I finaly got so mad at spending 24.00 dollars each time this would happen, I put in autometer gauges to bypassed the regulator with a fuse.

Another trick I was told about is put an inline fuse infront of the regulator while you search for the short, so if you get anther short it will pop the fuse instead of the 20.00 dollar regulator.
just my 2 cents