Insurance...wondering how others insure their 89's

Alot

Oct 11, 2018
USA
I've got a basic 89 4 cyl hatchback (in Arkansas) that I keep in the yard under a cover and use a 96 Honda Civic for my regular car. The only time I drive the Mustang is if relatives visit for a week or so. This happens 2 times a year. Then I let them use the Honda. Originally I would insure both for liability and some of those years I would never actually need to drive the Mustang. I think it was around $600 for both. I asked the Hartford Insurance company local dealer if I could just add the Mustang when needed. It took a while to get a clear answer but eventually they said I could insure the Honda for $400 with my understanding that I could add the Mustang for a few weeks if needed. This last year it went to $500. I paid that last Spring and recently got a bill for another $100 after having used it for a week in the Fall and 2 weeks now. So basically I'm back to what I paid for both cars liability at the beginning. I wondered if some others in this situation had found a cheaper way to do this? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

In Maryland where i live, you must have insurance to be in possesion of valid tags and registration. So, no matter how little you want to drive it, you have to maintain insurance coverage. Or else, turn in your tags.

I do an agreed value insurance on mine. I can drive it unlimited miles, and then when I park it for the winter, I just call and have my insurance guy and drop it to just comp. Only costs a couple hundred bucks a year.

These comments are all helpful. I don't have much knowledge in this area. I'll have to check on what the law is here regarding the license plate and tags. Didn't hear anything about having to turn them in when in storage.Even though the car is is good shape for it's age unfortunately it doesn't seem to be very valuable (judging by the for sale ads here) so comprehensive doesn't seem so necessary. I would like to find insurance that allowed for very occasional driving. I read on this forum about classic insurance not allowing driving for errands which is what I would be doing.

Last edited:
Im no help. MA is expensive. My daily driver costs $1800/year to insure.

I use haggerty for my '88. $12k value for around $400/year. I'm limited to 2500/miles a year and they car must be garaged. If I used regular insurance liability alone would cost me $1k

Reactions: 1 user
Im no help. MA is expensive. My daily driver costs $1800/year to insure.

I use haggerty for my '88. $12k value for around $400/year. I'm limited to 2500/miles a year and they car must be garaged. If I used regular insurance liability alone would cost me $1k
Wow, that's a lot for the daily driver. Interesting though about the Haggerty. So, it's more than just liability?

Wow, that's a lot for the daily driver. Interesting though about the Haggerty. So, it's more than just liability?

Yes. It's agreed value. I say I want $12k coverage and pay based on that. My car gets stolen...I get $12k.

Of course there are restrictions. Garage, need a daily driver registered to each driver in the household, max number of miles per year, and can only be used for pleasure drives. It gets stolen at Home Depot, I may be SOL.

The policy is more coverage than liability and I also get free towing on the mustang up to 15 miles. They have additional layers of towing but I do most of my driving around home so it works for me

Insurance in MA is expensive overall so these numbers may be cheaper for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
same here on the Haggerty. $5000 value and 2000 miles a year for $200 on Long Island, NY

Hopefully I’ll have to upgrade the value if all my plans for it work out!!