Engine Intake manifold verification

Red50Fox

May 6, 2019
Massachusetts
Good Afternoon folks. I'd like some verification on whether I just bought a really expensive decal or an actual cobra intake. Quick back story. I'm starting a new job on Monday, last day of the old job was yesterday, taking a couple of days off. Took a ride to one of the local junk yards to look for a couple of items for upcoming work. (5 lug conversion) and the guy at the yard mentioned we just got this old (did not check the VIN but 90+ fox body with cobra logos on the front fenders) convertible, it's right over there. So that's where I start and this is what I see (pictures taken after I pulled it off and brought it home). So how do I tell if this in fact an actual Cobra intake (upper and lower) or did I pay $80 for a neat old decal? What are the part numbers and where should I look?

Let me know (P.S. if I did buy a neat old logo, go easy on me:cautious:

Attachments

• 20191003_140750.jpg
    20191003_140750.jpg
    597.1 KB · Views: 152
  • Sponsors (?)

Looks like the Ford racing China made one to me. Probably around the year 2000 or so. You can tell because of the little "platform" behind where the throttle body bolts on. There would be a decal that said Ford Racing. The OEM units and US built Ford Racing intakes do not have this platform and didn't come with the decal. Still a good by for $80.

This is what a "real" one looks like:

https://us.letgo.com/en/i/oem-93-fo...-sbf-302_60276ce0-2f0f-4dba-9628-b878907edc7b

Notice no platform behind the throttle body.

All depends on your other mods. 5-10HP on a stock car.

But $80 was a good deal. Typically those sell for $300ish. The older US-made ones sell for around $500.

You'll want to upgrade the baffle on the lower to the larger explorer style baffle if it's the small baffle plate. Will reduce oil consumption

All depends on your other mods. 5-10HP on a stock car.

But $80 was a good deal. Typically those sell for $300ish. The older US-made ones sell for around $500.

You'll want to upgrade the baffle on the lower to the larger explorer style baffle if it's the small baffle plate. Will reduce oil consumption

I would definitely agree on the hp and oil baffle upgrades.

I ran one with stock heads and shorty headers for a while. Seat of the pants said it was a little softer down low but picked up power from 3500 to red line.

I thought I did well with my $100 Explorer intake on eBay. $80 for the Cobra (China or not) is a good buy for sure!! Nice job!
I’d go back to see what else that car has on it, at those prices.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Safe to assume that since it's riveted in I would be looking at a lower intake from an explorer to get the bigger baffle? What year (95 - 97 comes to mind)? Would it be better to get a matched upper and lower from the "Donor"?

Safe to assume that since it's riveted in I would be looking at a lower intake from an explorer to get the bigger baffle? What year (95 - 97 comes to mind)? Would it be better to get a matched upper and lower from the "Donor"?

Couple ways to do this.

Ford released the baffle as a service item for intakes with the small baffle. Part number# F6TZ-6L678-AA

Unsure if it can be found anymore, but a google search reveals there are copies

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335821607&icep_item=263201143474

The rivets can be removed, the holes taped for 1/4-20 and use a threadlocker to permenantely secure the bolts.

OR, toss it on ebay and buy an explorer lower. F87E-9K461-BA is the part number and will have the EGR passaged and the beefier boss for tapping the ACT sensor bung. There's another intake F87E-9K461-BB that is the later explorer intake that doesn't feature the boss for the ACT and lacks the EGR passage. It can be used but the -BA intake is preferred. It will have the bigger baffle

If you do swap that intake on to an otherwise stock foxbody 5.0 I recommend a couple other things that wont require extensive work but will be worth it. Put some 1.7 full roller rocker arms on. It will give some extra valve lift. And if the car is a MAF car still has the stock 55mm MAF, swap that out to a 70mm MAF that you can get from other Ford cars. Yo can get then from the 94-95 GT or various Marquis and Crown Vic in the mid 90's years

Reactions: 1 user
I've been wanting to do the large baffle on my Cobra intake. It's on the car and I don't remember which baffle is under there. I'm assuming it's the small one. I don't really like having bolts under the lower for obvious reasons. I also don't like having to modify the explorer lower. That's probably why I've done neither yet. I need anything that will lower oil consumption though.

The GT is a speed density but has a 70mm TB. I was thinking of going MAF with the intake upgrade. Good to know about the rockers. Had not thought of that. I might be hitting up that car next weekend if I have a chance. I'm of a similar thought about bolts under the lower intake but... Loctite (and others) has some products out there that keeps stuff in place "forever".While I'm at the yard I might snoop for an explorer BA casting. What year 95-97?

Thanks for the info.