Intake, Valve Cover Powdercoat Or Manufactuer's Coating

from6to8

There's suction so I used that end O_O
15 Year Member
Sep 2, 2012
Hey guys now that I'm going to build another motor and paint the engine bay and dress her up nicely, my thoughts on rather to powdercoat or leave the manufacter's coating on leave me wondering. I mentioned paint in the title but I believe I will be happier with the powdercoat overall. Now I do like the nice, clean look of a fresh intake, valve covers, and other engine components and maybe my instance where freon leaked out has me weary of leaving it with just the manuf. coating. I had once where a rag caught on fire under the hood as I was driving and caught it just in time as I was actually coming upon a stop sign. It burned a whole in one of the AC lines and the freon leaked out and left the intake and some other engine components stained.

I'm thinking also the older the intake becomes, it's coating will lose its luster anyway so maybe powdercoating will keep a decent finish/shine longer. I've had painted VC's before as well as currently chrome on my 95 and maybe this time powdercoating would be the way to go. Trying also to match up things evenly with enough distribution color wise for it to not be overkill in one particular area. Just wondering your thoughts and experience on the matter.

Have at it
tango_face_grin.png

Here's an image of a new setup looking all nice and fresh
nice new engine VC , ect .jpg

didn't notice till after posting that I didn't crop all the excess off the pic :D:D:D

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

If you like the factory fresh look..they basically can clear coat them. Buddy had his done a few years ago. Not sure on process or costs but they have held up very well and still look "new"

If you like the factory fresh look..they basically can clear coat them. Buddy had his done a few years ago. Not sure on process or costs but they have held up very well and still look "new"
cool man about to google some images now. I think though that I will more than likely get whatever intake I get painted red as it will match the car better. Red and chrome lettering. But if not, it will be the nice silver color it comes and have it cleared.

I have always like the manufacturer silver on intakes and valve covers, personally. Seems more timeless to me. When I see painted intakes, VC's, etc, I think more along the lines of a street rod instead of muscle car. That is just my opinion though, either way will look nice.

I have always like the manufacturer silver on intakes and valve covers, personally. Seems more timeless to me. When I see painted intakes, VC's, etc, I think more along the lines of a street rod instead of muscle car. That is just my opinion though, either way will look nice.
yeah man I just googled some images of red cars with different color intakes and boy oh boy do i have some options lol. I just have to narrow down what looks best. I even seen a few where the inside of the bay was painted black and then therefore you can get more red under the hood without it being overkill. In my case I'd do if I went that way, maybe a silver or smoke grey or something to that effect. Definitely not anything that's going to easily show up dirt or grease or anthing easily.

Not sure tho, the safe be might just be to paint it the color of the car like it is now. I even a few months ago bought some colored pencils to do several mocks so I could choose. The screenshot pics helped though so I will adjust accordingly

I love the way powder coating looks and it's much more durable than paint. If you can afford it, i would easily choose powder coating. Powder coating companies around here have dozens, if not hundreds, of colors to choose from.

BTW, your engine looks absolutely stunning as is too.

I love the way powder coating looks and it's much more durable than paint. If you can afford it, i would easily choose powder coating. Powder coating companies around here have dozens, if not hundreds, of colors to choose from.

BTW, your engine looks absolutely stunning as is too.
Thanks. That's a googled image though

No sht! Ah well, something for me to shoot for....:doh:
LOL no doubt man. Yeah I think I've graduated from that look you know it's nice and clean and everything nice and new but I think since I'm building this 351 motor I may as well go all out man and put some paint on some things under there and chrome it up and everything man since I'm going to paint the engine bay I may as well go ahead and do it nice

Powder coat rather. Only thing is my car is laser red and so I can't put too much red well I cannot I don't think it would look good having the intake red the upper intake and the valve covers red so I have to kind of find the car is going to have silver saleen Graphics so I'll probably do mostly red silver and black under there there will be. I will get more than likely get the march polished aluminum pulleys and try to proportion everything

Last edited:
These days we have nearly as many colors to choose from as painters. I'm powdercoating some AR-15 parts in Candy Blue and a knock-off Yeti tumbler in a metallic purple next week.