Intercooler/heat exchanger fit behind an lx bumper without cutting it?

2000xp8

SN Certified Technician
Aug 8, 2003
NJ
Anyone run a heat exchanger or intercooler behind an lx bumper without cutting it?
My car needs to be painted and i'm considering turning it back into an lx at that time.
It's not a done deal that I decide this, but I want to keep my options open.
Finding a reasonable place to paint the car at a reasonable price in a reasonable time frame is turning out to be a challenge.
The saleen body kit is not helping the cause. I'd most likely be best off just buying a new kit before paying someone (or doing it myself) to strip the paint off the current package.
To be clear, it's not only the paintwork driving the removal of the saleen kit (and wing), i just have my days where i want just a neat classic lx look.

Currently, the lx bumper is cut out behind the saleen front valence for the heat exchanger.

• Sponsors (?)

Plenty of guys do it . My buddies coyote swap had a 03 cobra style behind the bumper no fans and no fitment issues .

You can find inter/after coolers in all shapes and sizes these days. It's not like 20 years ago. They fit them behind golf cart grills with 400+ HP weed wacker motors and tons of boost.

Thanks guys,
Just seems like so many pics of lx's have the lower portion of the bumper cutout and I think it looks awful.
I've also seen some guys make room by using a tubular front bumper support, i'm not totally opposed to that, but if it has any effect on safety, I won't do it.
And considering I cut my lx bumper out I don't really have a true way to gauge what fits and what doesn't.
Since my current heat exchanger is a gords with some aluminum brackets welded onto it, i think if I change it out, i'd like to see if a dual pass afco style Gt500 exchanger would fit.