Interesting problem

psmith0803

Aug 15, 2006
Missouri
I recently finished up a very long extensive restoration project for my wife. It is a 67 coupe V8 w/3 speed in the floor. Everything works well but it has one very interesting problem. When you push the clutch pedal to the floor the horn start going off and on (sounds like a car alarm). There are no wires around the pedals or linkages being smashed.

I can only assume at this point something is getting grounded through the linkage, clutch and back to the motor that is not suppose to be. What I can't figure out is why it goes on and off, it sounds like it is about the speed of the flashers. Is it possible that they are somehow involved?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Phillip

• Sponsors (?)

your wiring loom comes out of the steering column, into the engine compartment at the base of the column. I would suspect, that engaging the pedal, vibrates the wires in the column. I would suspect the horn and turn signal wire are chafing.

There is no netural saftey switch at the moment. I've inspected the wires coming in and out of the column I can not seem to find anything. It has to be something in or very near the column I can hold the clutch down and tweak around on the steering wheel (not turning it but moving it left to right up and down) and it comes and goes.

I'll keep looking this is very fustrating, after 18 months of work I'm hung up on something stupid like this.

Phillip

Update

After messing around with for awhile. I noticed the steering shaft bushings where no staying in place and would get off to one side. I fixed this and now the horn no longer blows but when you have the clutch pushed in the turn signals hang and do not flash.

I'm dieing on the vine here....I had that column apart half a dozen times last night I cannot find anything.

Phillip

At least you're narrowing the problem. Make sure its not from the connector thru the firewall. If not, then its w/in the column. You might get lucky and take the horn button apart. It might be shorting in there. look at the turn signal cam. Do the turn signals work correctly when you use the switch?
I can't believe you got it apart that many times! Are the seats not in? cause I know its a pain working under there. You MUST be very limber, or young....:D
Hopefully you get to the bottom of this, and get to start enjoying the fruits of your labor!

It contiunes to irratate me, lastnight I took it out for a drive to get it appraised for the insurance. When I shut the car off all the dash gauges and the radio stayed on.....

Turned the steering wheel 1/4 a turn to the left and it shut off.

I've pushed the column deeper to try and create more clearance between the flasher switch/turn signal cam and the back of the steering wheel mount. It was late so I did not have a chance to test it but it seemed to make the gagues go dead.

Phillip

PS No I'm not young or limber my back is killing me but I let the rage fuel my fire.