Intro And Choosing A Setup

willie91gt

Dec 22, 2016
hello! I'm willie, I live in denver, I'm looking at replacing my old 91gt with a 89-93 I was planning my build and wanted to know if this sounds legit, I'm trying to get 350 hp range. I used an app from ridedata.net to pick the fuel injectors the throttle body and exhaust that was really my main concern was if they were right. I was planning to save up a little extra and buy some parts too.

It said at 350 hp I should look for very minimum 28lb injectors, 150lph pump, 75mm throttle body and either 1 3/4 headers for torque at 5000 rpm or 1 5/8" for torque lower If I have a 347 and AFR or TFS heads 185/190s. I'm not sure about trusting an app. It seems like it probably just does math, can someone tell me if this sounds like a legit setup?

thanks for any help! I'm excited to get back into mustangs, my last one was crashed (not my fault!) a few years ago and I couldn't replace it with what little money they gave me for it so I bought a series of beaters, now I'm almost back! thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I think that is how a program like that works, theory, like a hypothetical situation.
When building a car with 350hp you have more than the hp that figure in to the equation, just as important to get'n going is get'n stopped.
Start out with a plan as what you are going to do with the car.
Street
Street/strip
Track (road course or drag strip)
Wecome to stangnet, people here have been there and done that, unlike me, I've only been there, broke that.
I could be the stangnet door greeter,
Advice isle 5
Burn outs isle 9

hello! I'm willie, I live in denver, I'm looking at replacing my old 91gt with a 89-93 I was planning my build and wanted to know if this sounds legit, I'm trying to get 350 hp range. I used an app from ridedata.net to pick the fuel injectors the throttle body and exhaust that was really my main concern was if they were right. I was planning to save up a little extra and buy some parts too.

It said at 350 hp I should look for very minimum 28lb injectors, 150lph pump, 75mm throttle body and either 1 3/4 headers for torque at 5000 rpm or 1 5/8" for torque lower If I have a 347 and AFR or TFS heads 185/190s. I'm not sure about trusting an app. It seems like it probably just does math, can someone tell me if this sounds like a legit setup?

thanks for any help! I'm excited to get back into mustangs, my last one was crashed (not my fault!) a few years ago and I couldn't replace it with what little money they gave me for it so I bought a series of beaters, now I'm almost back! thanks!

Hi Willie! I live in Lakewood! The question I would ask is..are you looking to drive this on the street or trailer it to a track? I'm essentially doing the same thing but I have to keep it street legal which means passing an E-test. Under Colorado law (and for areas that this law applies), all licensed vehicles must have functioning original emissions equipment and must pass the actual emissions (HC, CO, etc) for the year of the car or year of the engine (swap?), which ever is the newer year. Seriously modifying a car and getting it to pass the E-test can be problematic at best.

I think that is how a program like that works, theory, like a hypothetical situation.
When building a car with 350hp you have more than the hp that figure in to the equation, just as important to get'n going is get'n stopped.
Start out with a plan as what you are going to do with the car.
Street
Street/strip
Track (road course or drag strip)
Wecome to stangnet, people here have been there and done that, unlike me, I've only been there, broke that.
I could be the stangnet door greeter,
Advice isle 5
Burn outs isle 9

Hey thanks for replying and the welcome! I asked on other places and they basically told me computer programs suck and I should buy a crate engine. Maybe I should build for 450 and hope for 350?

tbh brake upgrades scare me. I used to work for a guy with a 93 lx, he had just bought it and decided to get the biggest brakes he could and by the time it was all installed and $2k later it stopped worse because brake booster and balancing issues that he had a hard time getting sorted out, kept throwing money at it. I was kinda thinking about getting slotted rotors and epc pads for the front and ltd station wagon drums for the back?

Hi Willie! I live in Lakewood! The question I would ask is..are you looking to drive this on the street or trailer it to a track? I'm essentially doing the same thing but I have to keep it street legal which means passing an E-test. Under Colorado law (and for areas that this law applies), all licensed vehicles must have functioning original emissions equipment and must pass the actual emissions (HC, CO, etc) for the year of the car or year of the engine (swap?), which ever is the newer year. Seriously modifying a car and getting it to pass the E-test can be problematic at best.

Hey nice to meet you! I know the e-test really is a pain :( I live in Denver but most of the time I stay in Monument with my gf so I was kinda thinking about registering there without testing, but I will definitely have the car in a few years and the gf maybe not so much lol. I'm lucky enough to start from scratch so either way I'm planning to avoid any 93s so I can get 5 year collector plates (25 years is the limit for classic??) and hopefully not have to swap parts every year or worry about it too often.

Hey nice to meet you! I know the e-test really is a pain :( I live in Denver but most of the time I stay in Monument with my gf so I was kinda thinking about registering there without testing, but I will definitely have the car in a few years and the gf maybe not so much lol. I'm lucky enough to start from scratch so either way I'm planning to avoid any 93s so I can get 5 year collector plates (25 years is the limit for classic??) and hopefully not have to swap parts every year or worry about it too often.

You might be able to get collector's plates but that won't exempt you from the E-test. I'm not sure if Monument is far enough out to be an E-test exempt area, but it might be. And then there's the question of the gf! It used to be that you could get away with only having a PO box in an exempt area, but the counties caught on and now require proof of a physical address for exemption.

There are super chargers that have a California air research board (I think thats what its called) and most are 50 state legal, as for brakes different brakes for different styles of racing and some are not good for street use. Most people here have done brake up grades and there is a sticky for that with a five lug swap, so decide what you want to do with the car then ask questions and build accordingly.
Good luck and post your build with pics
Extra points for pics of your car or beer, doesn't matter.

ok lets start from the beginning and forget about computer simulators that spec out injector sizes no one uses and throttle body sizes too big

• 302 or 347
  • aod or stick
  • daily driver or street strip
  • what rear end gears
  • what is your budget

ok lets start from the beginning and forget about computer simulators that spec out injector sizes no one uses and throttle body sizes too big

• 302 or 347
  • aod or stick
  • daily driver or street strip
  • what rear end gears
  • what is your budget

I appreciate everyone replying! I've been dreaming for a while now to get another one and one of my coworkers has a friend with an 89 gt that needs a front clip, it's about the same condition I sold mine in maybe a little better, it didn't seem like it had frame damage "just" needs a front bumper, fender and radiator.

He has a tko500, 347 kit from scat, AFR 185s, trick flow street intake. all in boxes with a few other parts installed too, he said he would sell me the whole thing for $8000. It's hard to commit to other people's projects vs starting new but it seems legit at the same time.

When I looked at it, it was dark and an hour+ drive away in la veta and I probably started asking too many questions, oops lol. His friend or someone he knows or works with cousin?? made that app so he told me to look it up on the internet and use those specifications in it to get an idea of what else I would need, he said there's a different one from the same guy that does gears but they'd be stock when I buy it so I'd probably get 3.55s or 3.73s eventually

It doesn't have a cam, exhaust or fuel injectors and it needs a front clip, the engine in it is stock, so I would use that block. I could probably talk him a little lower but the parts add up to quite a bit and it's all new. It was driving when it crashed and it's a 5 speed.

I was kinda trying to figure out what more I would have to spend to even start to get the 347 swapped and exhaust intake and fuel injectors are the major things that stuck out to me and maybe I'd have a number to subtract from the $8000 but I needed to start looking for specific parts. I was thinking maybe I could talk him down to $5000 but the tko is pricey alone, and with a car even if it needs a front clip it's around 100,000 miles and clean otherwise. I thought maybe if I offer him $1000 off for injectors and exhaust and another $1000 off for the front clip and try to get it for $6000. But I might just start from scratch on something that drives.

I should've taken pictures but it was dark. I'm still trying to figure out what I'm doing so my question was weird, my b. I hadn't even thought too much about emissions testing until I came here lol :) :) thanks! so I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing yet but I appreciate everyone's advice etc.

Merry Christmas!!

For a street car i wouldn't worry about a hp number....
Torque is what makes a car fun to drive.

No matter what you need to pass emissions, make sure all part are carb legal and have egr passages.

Build it with a mild ish cam or go the custom cam route. Call different cam companies to get an opinion.

Then get a tune to tie it all together